Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 28 Jul 2021 12:31 #223904

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 227
Thanks guys for the comments on brake fluid. I’ll give your options some thought before I purchase any.
Think mine is a pressure switch.

Cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 28 Jul 2021 18:15 #223912

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 383
Those few Studebaker folk to whom I spoke directly about DOT5 fluid, were getting switches from the nearest Harley-Davidson dealer. The regular switches were failing after a few months, from memory.
This was 10 - 15 years ago, the generally available switches may be better now.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Bedford K Restoration 28 Jul 2021 20:22 #223918

• Dodgeydude
  • Thank you received: 54
Usually I try to stay away from "oil" debates but here is my understanding. Yes conventional mineral brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb any moisture that enters the system. However because it is absorbed any water is "diluted" and is a very small part of the total volume of fluid and does not cause a lot of problems. Fair to say a lot of people never change brake fluid as part of a normal service yet the world does not end.
So lets assume that the ingress of moisture into the system is the same regardless of what fluid we put in it. So for DOT5 the moisture does not mix but can remain separate and collect in random places. Water sitting in the same spot for a long time will result in damage to your brakes.
So my opinion is DOT5 has a noticeable increase in performance, I use it in racing brakes but requires much more frequent changing to be sure that water is not collecting somewhere in the system.
I am one of the blokes who change brake fluid regularly and I always feel an improvement in performance. Oh, and yes I am a SOB and I don't care what your opinion is so take this in the same vein.
So I say use ordinary brake fluid and change it regularly :)
Many useful things fall off trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Southbound

Bedford K Restoration 29 Jul 2021 15:45 #223948

• Southbound
  • Thank you received: 424
^^^ 100% ^^^
I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Bedford K Restoration 29 Jul 2021 19:30 #223958

• Pierre
Thanks Dodgeydude, your points noted.:)

Just thought I'd share some photos of "missing Tray Hardware I'm looking for, if anyone can help drop me a line.

The first photo is the locking latch which I'll call R/H. So I need (1) more R/H & (2) LH.
The hooked male part I have the full set.

I also need (2) Sideboard Hinge Brackets as per photo, assuming GMH only fitted two hinges to the rear tailboard. Note the "D" shape hole on one side.

Also need (7) of the Hinge pins that fit thru the bracket.
I have two different types that came with the busted up tray & I'm assuming the one that has the "D" shoulder to fit the "D" shaped punch hole is correct.
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 29 Jul 2021 19:46 #223959

• Pierre
The pin on the right has the "D" shape shoulder

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 29 Jul 2021 20:04 #223964

• 180wannabe
  • Thank you received: 147
UES International might be able to help you out with the latches. Look in the "mudguards and tailgate" section on their website. You might also find the hinges section worth a look.
I have found that you really have to know what you want when you go there, as none of the staff seem very keen to offer much assistance as to exactly what is available. Just my experience.

Otherwise possibly Dekker Motor Bodies, but i'm not sure if they still use that style latch anymore.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 30 Jul 2021 06:43 #223972

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1522
That locking latch you mention I would think are still pretty common on trays etc and should be readily available
The other bits I'm thinking you will need to custom make and look relatively easy except maybe thr bolt with the D on it

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Bedford K Restoration 30 Jul 2021 08:30 #223976

• Pierre
180 wannabe / Mrsmackpaul - yes I've dealt with UES before & not that impressed either. I want to keep it with original fittings if possible.
If nothing turns up I'll hang out for the swap meets to start up again. Will be some out there somewhere!

cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 30 Jul 2021 09:42 #223981

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 169
If you're close the trailer place on main north road near cmv has all sorts of tray latch bits and pieces or will know where to get them if they don't have them.

Time to create page: 0.829 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558