Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Model Cylinder Compression 09 Mar 2020 21:28 #207315

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
Thanks Jarrod, nice to see there are people out there understanding my situation. But you appear to be located in Ipswich and I am in Crystal Brook South Australia, so a wee bit too far to be viable I guess. :(

Further thoughts on creating a five cylinder engine - there might be a slight issue with the non-existent water jacket in number six!? :ohmy: :oops:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 22 Mar 2020 15:12 #207670

• cam245
  • Thank you received: 1
I am doing this job now on my A model truck.

I am not having any success.

How did you go with yours Pierre... whats the secret, I got the string half way down the sides of the glass and it just jambs up.

Any help appreciated.

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 22 Mar 2020 21:53 #207692

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 975
When it jams up this is the time you need to start using the flat of your hand to bump it into place. Depending on where you are starting from is where you bump. We used to sit the screen on a blanket on the bench, fit the rubber around the glass then add the thick string for pulling it into place and some sealant. We then sat the bottom of the galss and rubber into place and with one person on the string on the inside the other outside is applying a small amount of pressure on the glass to let the glass try to centralise.
When it gets stuck a couple of things to try are using the string in a circular motion to try to lift the rubber over the edge of the metal and at the same time your mate on the outside starts to slap the glass to force the rubber down onto the bottom edge and to try and work the glass across to the opposite side.
IT is not easy to do but with tough hards and a heap of patience and providing the glass is the right size as well as the rubber it will go in. I have ner tried it but maybe some soapy water as well to help or even as a last resort some Lanox.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: cam245

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 23 Mar 2020 17:58 #207711

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 356
I use the same method as Cobba described.

Some dishwashing liquid or rubber grease (the dishwasher liquid is heaps cheaper) and where he said about the circular motion on the string you could also try a Philips screwdriver to try and ease the rubber over the lip if the circle work doesn't do the job.

patience is a virtue when doing this job.

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 23 Mar 2020 18:02 #207712

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 393

I use the same method as Cobba described.

Some dishwashing liquid or rubber grease (the dishwasher liquid is heaps cheaper) and where he said about the circular motion on the string you could also try a Philips screwdriver to try and ease the rubber over the lip if the circle work doesn't do the job,patience is a virtue when doing this job.

I would favour rubber grease rather than detergent, because detergent will encourage rust later on.

Last edit: by overnite.

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 23 Mar 2020 18:25 #207713

• Lang
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4042
Zuffen

I would recommend never using a screwdriver or any metal tool. If the glass is laminated this will almost guarantee you will have to find another one. One bit of pressure on the edge will result in a crack.

If it is old style safety glass it is a bit more forgiving but you are still playing with fire,

Get a hard plastic scraper or you can, sand down an old screwdriver handle on a linishing belt to create a sharp square ended flat probe about finger width.

Lang

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 23 Mar 2020 20:39 #207717

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Thanks guys, I've managed to get the rear glass in with soapy water & numerous plastic tools & an old push bike tyre lever but not all that happy with it. Ended up with a few wrinkles in the trim (gets glued in place around the opening before the rubber goes in).
It will do given the weathered used style appearance I'm looking for.
I still reckon it was not quite the right profile of rubber. :dry:
On to the next job.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cam245, cobbadog

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 24 Mar 2020 08:14 #207724

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 356
Lang I was referring to the rubber being caught on the lip of the opening so on the outside of the rubber not the inside near the glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cam245, Lang

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 24 Mar 2020 09:33 #207729

• Morris
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 572
Before you sand down a handle to make a "sharp, square ended flat probe" have a look in the kitchen gadgets section of a big supermarket or a kitchenware shop. You will probably find a suitable wooden or plastic tool readymade and so cheap you can buy two in case you break one.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cam245, Lang

Bedford K Model Rear Window Issues 25 Mar 2020 14:23 #207754

• cam245
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the advise.

I think where I went wrong is not lubing the in and outside of the window opening with something to help the rubber slide.

Second I should rub the cord with soap before I set it in the rubber to help it slip when pulling.

And I believe my main mistake was pulling down the sides at the same time which prevents the window moving when you try palming it to one side.

I'll try again and this time I will do half the width around one corner and all one side to the next corner. Then come back and do the other half round the corner and down the second side instead of trying to pull down both sides together.

Does this sound right?

Thanks
Cam

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558