Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 14:06 #225185

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 221
cobbadog / wee-allis,
tried all the above suggestions, still runs for a few secs & then backfires with flame out the carby & stops!
Pierre
Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 14:56 #225186

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
As neither the carburettor or the fuel pump had changed I would direct your attention back to what you DID change - ie the wiring. :oops:

Back to basics Pierre - live feed to coil from battery (no other wires on the SW side of coil), and see what happens with that. I assume you are still using the standard pull knob starter activation. Provided there are no shorts anywhere - this should start AND keep running if everything else is okay. :unsure:

What you were explaining before sounded as though the coil was connected to the starter solenoid activation (if you have one) such that it would only be live to the coil while turning the key to the start position, and then losing power as the igniition key was relaxed to the run position. If this IS the case then recheck your wiring from switch to starter and solenoid. :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 15:46 #225189

• Pierre
Thanks PDU.
Remembering this is Positive Earth.
I'm not using the ignition switch
I'm running a hot wire from Negative side of battery to SW on the coil & a wire from the Positive side of coil to the distributor.
& the Normal original wire from Negative side of battery to the floor mount push starter switch.

The only other new wiring connection in the system at this stage would be a wire from the starter to the ignition switch, do you think this would be causing an issue even though I'm not using the ignition switch as such?:unsure:

cheers
Pierre :(
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 16:29 #225190

• 180wannabe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 141
Maybe a stuck valve?

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 18:43 #225198

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 369
I have had condensers die without warning, not always a complete no-start (but usually).
Spitting back out the carby is either lean (not if dripping fuel down the guts), or weak ignition.
As suggested, may be worth temporarily disconnecting new wiring to exclude it.
You'll get it. I envy your perseverence at times.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Bedford K Restoration 31 Aug 2021 19:31 #225203

• Pierre
Thanks, I hope not 180wannabe, I spent a bunch of time replacing valves & doing the head!!

OK thanks asw120, I wondered if hot wiring & trying to start itwould be detrimental to points & condenser.
I'll check condenser & disconnect that new wire & see what happens.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 01 Sep 2021 00:37 #225212

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
Hot wiring won't hurt your Bedford, they've been stealing cars like that for eons! Just disconnect your "new" wire leave the hot wire set up and hit that starter . . . :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 01 Sep 2021 21:09 #225241

• Pierre
PDU - well, after finding 30 minutes to myself today, I removed the new loom wire running from the starter button to the the Ignition switch & left it HOT wired & low & behold it runs albeit with a squirt of juice down the carby to get it initially started.
It's a little rough but it runs & just needs the timing & carby adjusted I reckon.
I've pulled the carby apart & cleaned the jets & accelerator pump but still needs the squirt to get it going.

Not sure yet what's going on with that wire that's causing the running issue, but I need to get that sorted.
I need to check the wiring instructions from the new loom supplier against the original workshop manual wiring diagram.

Forgot to check the operation of the clutch while the engine was running, will do that tomorrow.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, asw120

Bedford K Restoration 01 Sep 2021 21:42 #225246

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1030
Interesting that you need to squirt some fuel down the throat. There should be a heap of fuel in the bowl and a pump on thethrottle should do that.
I wonder if the neww harness has a relay or cut out built into the system that is switching off the power.
At least you are heading in the right direction.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 01 Sep 2021 21:49 #225248

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 135
Not on the wrong wire for the coil feed? Like an accessory feed that turns off when in the crank position?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558