Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 22:01 #225304

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 221
Yes I have & use a test light.
Hmm, I know where your heading 600Dodge, but not sure where to look next.
I just need to get my head around it,
Pierre
Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 22:09 #225307

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 135
I'd say hook it all back up as it was but also leave the hot wire on the coil, start her up then once it's running pull the hot wire off and see if it stops, if by some way it keeps running you might have isolated the problem to a cranking position only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 22:24 #225308

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
You appear to have gone wrong at the fuse block Pierre. There should only be one white wire at A3 terminal and you have two???
ALSO The wiring instructions they have given you do not mention your ammeter. You do have an ammeter don't you? The smaller wire 1 from the starter motor (brown) should go to the B connection (for Battery) on the ammeter, then from the other side of the ammeter (A connection for A terminal) wire 2 (brown - white) runs back to the A connection (terminal) on the regulator. IF you don't have an ammeter wire 1 could go straight to the A terminal.
Now wire 3 (brown-blue) - this runs from the A1 terminal on the fuse block to the A terminal on the lighting and ignition switch, basically taking power to the ignoition which when turned on sends power through the IG terminal on the switch through wires 4 AND 5 (both white) one going to the SW connection on the coil (wire 4) and the other to the A3 terminal at the fuse block. With these all connected correctly all will be correct BUT could you please take a picture of your fuse block so I can see ALL the wires connected to it. Just in case there is something else amiss there!?

PS I must be a bit like you 600Dodge, test lights are a time saver for tracing live wires once you have a good earth connection ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 22:37 #225309

• Pierre
Thanks PDU. There is no Ammeter on this vehicle at the moment.
I was planning to fit one together with an oil pressure gauge later on once I had everything up & running .

Thanks 600Dodge - I'm in Rostrevor near Morialta Falls.

appreciate your feedback guys
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 22:52 #225312

• PDU
IF the "other" white wire is wire 5 it is correctly placed in Terminal A3.

Wire 1 is incorrectly located it should be at the A1 terminal which is the one bottom RHS in your picture.

I found this out by digging through B for's original wiring loom, removed a year plus ago . . .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Bedford K Restoration 02 Sep 2021 23:07 #225313

• PDU
No ammeter, but the Bedford wiring diagram says there is one!?

Strange thinks PDU, so he goes back out to the garage and digs out his gauges (not fitted back in the dash yet) and surprise, surprise - neither do I :ohmy: :lol:

I did go back nine pages in your blog to find the picture showing your gauges - exactly the same as mine. :whistle: At least we will both know how to hook the ammeter in when we get to it. :unsure:

Bedford K Restoration 03 Sep 2021 08:04 #225322

• wee-allis
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 648
I don't understand why there is a wire going from the generator to the coil.

Bedford K Restoration 03 Sep 2021 08:27 #225323

• Pierre
wee-allis - no it's not. The wire to the coil is just in the front loom together with the wires that go to the generator & branches off.

PDU - The two marked #3 white wires going to the A3 Fuse Terminal are as per the W/Shop wiring diagram,
( see photos White is #4 on the wiring diagram)

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:

Bedford K Restoration 03 Sep 2021 10:21 #225329

• wee-allis
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 648
Gotcha. Show me half a picture and I'll get confused every time.

Bedford K Restoration 03 Sep 2021 10:33 #225330

• PDU
Ouch, humble apologies Pierre, I was referring to the wrong Bedford wiring diagram! :oops: :blush:

Must have been the port and beer having a bad effect on my meanderings through the wiring maze. having printed out the necessary page I will now re-assess. Bear with me for a while. :whistle:

Okay, back again, according to the guide that came with the loom I assume; (shown on previous page) those two white wires (marked as 3) according to the wiring diagram they should be marked as wire 4? Wire 3 should be brown-blue and is a relatively short wire from A1 on the regulator to A1 on the fuse block. And that appears to be there.

The white wire to your coil is where it should be and I assume the other is correctly connected to the IG terminal on the ignition switch. :unsure: Perhaps we need a picture of the back of the ignition switch, and also one of the regulator to see what wires are going where. Meanwhile I'll have my breakfast. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558