Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 04 Sep 2021 19:58 #225394

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 221
All input appreciated PDU.:)
Yes, the ignition switch did cross my mind as well this morning as It's not the original switch.
The original bakelite unit had just disintegrated.
The S/Hand ignition switch does have a touchy contact when you switch to headlights so maybe it has other issues as well.

I have another spare & I can test as per the manual (attached) & swap them over if it tests OK, but I think this was a bit sus also.
Guess I should have done that test in the first place. :dry:
If I'm reading this To Test Instruction correctly, you need two test lights one connected to the + and one connected to the - , then connect the other ends to terminals as per the instructions. :unsure:

Will be a day or so before I can get to that.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 04 Sep 2021 20:25 #225395

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 752
One test light is sufficient you just need to be on two sides of the dash board at once . . . :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 04 Sep 2021 21:17 #225403

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 369
A lot of those old switches can be dismantled to clean the contacts, should neither test well.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Bedford K Restoration 04 Sep 2021 21:48 #225408

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1030
Grab the spare switch and do the test but I would take it apart now and clean all the contacts and inspect any tiny springs that may jump out at you. If there are springs see if you can buy some fresh ones the same gauge and length and fit them. This will make the switch like new, also give it a generous spray of Inox or similar and test again.
You could also employ the use of a jump stater battery to put power in the switch and your test light at all the important places to test for power when it should and should not be there. As enexample the power must go to the solenoid when the switch is engaged to start but no power once disengaged the start.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 20:19 #225554

• Pierre
cobbadog, I don't think I have a solenoid as such, just a floor starter button.

Another frustrating day with the ignition switches.
I followed the workshop manual test procedure for the spare ignition switch (#2) I had & it tested fine so I didn't pull it apart.

Removed the existing switch (#1) we thought might be giving us a problem & substituted the successful #2 test unit.
Connected the battery & everything works BUT, both the Ignition & Oil Warning lights stay on when the switch is OFF. :unsure:

Question: is there is still a problem with the #2 switch or some other connection causing this or should I as you suggest just pull it apart & give it a clean?

Went to give #1 switch a test as well & for some reason now the key won't release from the tumbler! :angry:

Oh Boy

Reset the ignition timing & found #4 plug wire cracked - not sure if I did that trying to rotate & move the distributor cap. - will get another tomorrow.

Moved onto the L/H Rear brake drum, pretty crusty, linings coming adrift as per the RH side & oil seal leak is worse this side & has soaked the bottom brake shoe.
Will have to hunt for seals as well.

Don't know why the files get submitted upside down sometimes when you add them to a post .
cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 20:22 #225555

• Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 20:43 #225557

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 135
There is a 1950 bedford coming up in an auction this weekend with a windmill boring drill on the back, you want another one?

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 21:41 #225562

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1030
Pierre, from my experiences files end up laying down on their sides or @rse up because of the orientation of the phone when you take the picture.
I find with my Samsung Android phone I have to hold the phone horizontal or width ways and the shuter button is then on the right hand side of the screen.
If I old thephone vertical then pics lay down annd so on.
Do a test and take 3 pics and take note of the position of the phone then uploadd them and see the results. No matter if you do an edit on the desktop puta the images when uploaded will go back to the way the pics were taken.

Hope that makes sense
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 21:52 #225564

• Dave_64
  • Thank you received: 436
Yeah, I second what Cobba says, had the same problem myself, turned the phone horizontal, cured falling over problem! Dave

Bedford K Restoration 08 Sep 2021 22:04 #225566

• Pierre
No thanks 600Dodge, no room & barely got enough time for the one I have! :side:
Thanks for sharing
Pierre
Pierre

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558