Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 13 Sep 2021 14:22 #225762

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Update -
Friday/Saturday last I visited a local garage who's young mechanic does a lot of old classic cars in particular 50's/60's Chevs / Fords. He rummaged around for a while thinking he had something, but turned out a dead end.
He was aware the chev stovebolt engine was very similar to the Bedford, but did not have the screw in style distributor leads.

Next was my local Jaguar mechanic who has done some work on my MK2.
We managed to find a length of matching HT cable & a couple of loose screw in ends which I hastily took home & after a bit of soldering I then had two serviceable new leads.;)

So thanks Guys for all your responses I will eventually install a full set of new leads, so I will use your contacts to source these in due course, but for the moment crisis averted. :)

regards
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 15 Sep 2021 20:15 #225795

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Pressing on with work to the LH Rear brakes, now stripped, cleaned, tidied up & replacement shoes fitted.
Next the Wheel Cylinder, check bore & fit new seals & overhaul the Bisector unit.

Also the past few days were spent hunting down replacement Rear Hub Outer Oil Seals.
These oil seals are pressed into a flange plate holder & can be bought as an assembly for anywhere between 75-200 English Pounds from the UK. (see photo)
I figured it should be possible to obtain a standard seal that would fit inside the flange plate.
Craig, from ACW Truck Spares was generous enough to provide the part# (TC12617) for a standard Metric Seal that just required minor reducing of the outer diameter to make them work. Total cost for the two, $16.00 from my local Bearing supplier.
Photo shows old seal & one of the new seals pressed in the holder.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Bedford K Restoration 15 Sep 2021 21:44 #225797

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 975
Our local bearing shop always rolls hia eyes when I walk in with stuff and place it on the counter. The David Brown has some weird bearings and seals in places and they have always come up with a plan B that has worked and has been very economical just like what you have found. These people are worth their weight in gold.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558