Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 16:24 #231166

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1243
Pierre, If you can hook the Float arm with a bit of Wire through the filler Cap ? Move the float arm through It's Arc & see if the Gauge needle moves ..!
Otherwise remove the Sender & test It with a Multi-meter set on Ohms..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 16:44 #231167

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 446
Re indicator lights, if it is going on historic rego speak to your club registrar. One way of doing it is to have coloured globes (or LED's) inside the front side lights. Rears can be a more modern cluster . I think everyone agrees that these days it is safer to have two rear lights and direction indicators. If you are going on full rego the indicators will have to have a certain amount of lens area and the tiny tiny bike light may not satisfy that requirement.

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 17:28 #231168

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 366
Thanks hayseed - tried the wire trick but there's a baffle plate between the filler & the gauge with little room to move. Guess I'll have to pull it out as you suggest & check it. Do you think there should be an earth to the unit as it's bolted up with a gasket between it & the tank?

Thanks mammoth - I'll go with the larger indicators to be on the safe side & keep the side lights as original.
cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 20:24 #231175

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 1030
Pierre I don't know for sure - I haven't got anywhere need that stage yet, let alone think about putting the gauges back in! However, logic tells me that it is a simple wire to the tank unit, that passes through the swinging arm contacts (somehow I guess) and then running to earth first through the body of the sender unit, then into the screws to the tank, and finally through the straps to the chassis. I can see no connecting points, other than the connection from the gauge, on any of the three Bedford tanks that I have here.

I would say hayseed's suggestion is the right approach, especially if you can understand how to use a multi-meter? Sounds right to me. Good luck.

PS I was planning to use the side lights as a combination side light/indicator, although I am mildly tempted to move them down onto the the lower front corners of the bumper bar as I think the guards have a cleaner appearance without them. :unsure: Must admit I hadn't even considered the size factor though, :oops: I've never heard of that before, even when putting a modified older car through the Government Garage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 21:02 #231178

• Vic Rhodes
  • Thank you received: 34

If you are going on full rego the indicators will have to have a certain amount of lens area and the tiny tiny bike light may not satisfy that requirement.

Would It Be possible for You to post a link that Verifies this Assumption..??

According to this..

pcc.gov.au/uniform/Australian%20Light%20...2%20March%202019.pdf

Pages 71-73.. There are requirements relating to the Position & Visibility of Indicator Lights. But None (that I can See) relating to Lens Size..!

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 21:06 #231179

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 512
The tanks on old trucks were often earthed through the fuel line. Any flexible lines had a tinned wire braid covering, so were conductive. A wire from a lug under one of the sender screws to any good earth will do.
To test the gauge (assuming the wire from the gauge to the sender is in order), run a wire from the sender terminal to a good earth. The gauge should go off the scale when the ignition is turned on. Bearing in mind there are different types of gauge movements, this is the most common result. This will work regardless of earthing the tank, as you are bypassing that.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 26 Jan 2022 22:01 #231183

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1462
IO guess each State can hav e different regulations on position and size of indicator and parking lights. Long time back in NSW they said you had to have 2" square of lense and the old style rounnd lights as used on the Land Rovers met this size. Then during a build of a hot rod, not mine, it was stated that motor cycle indicator lights can be used. So check it out with the relevant authourities first.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Bedford K Restoration 27 Jan 2022 07:52 #231188

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 446
Thanks for putting that document up Vic, it is a great resource as it puts to bed some of the old inconsistent rules and urban myths. So, in the case of the Bedford model K, it was made prior to 1966 and therefore is not required to have indicators, and if they are fitted they must be visible at 30 metres, and I guess lens area will be a factor of the very subjective "visability".
Stepping outside the thread a little the regs do not address LED lights or cheapo Chinese lights not marked as ADR compliant. For example marker and side lights must not be greater than 7 watts but what is the equivalent led rating?

Bedford K Restoration 27 Jan 2022 07:57 #231189

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 6214
Cobba

As Vic Rhodes points out, Australian Design Rules stopped most of that "each state" BS when concerned with the construction of vehicles. All states are now 99% standardised. If this was not so we would still be driving around in old Holdens because we have zero car manufacturing and no International car maker is going to produce vehicles with 6 special models for each state.

The ADR's align very closely with Euro and US DOT regulations and vehicles from each of these markets only have minor differences and these are normally a case of one or the other getting ahead a year or so before the rest catch up.

Differences come from administrative regulations such as registration requirements, annual inspections, drivers licensing, vehicle write off etc.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Last edit: by Lang.

Bedford K Restoration 27 Jan 2022 08:28 #231193

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 366
Thanks asw20.
When I have the ignition on & connect a wire from the sender to a good earth the needle on the gauge moves up a further 1/16" on the gauge?
Pierre
Pierre

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558