Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 07 May 2022 15:02 #234864

• 180wannabe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Pierre, i have had a look for you but both the Repco and ACL books that i have only cover pistons/rings/liners,valve guides etc., not bearings sorry.

If no one else is able to help you out, all i can suggest just at the moment is to have a look for a suitable old Repco catalogue on ebay, they are often not very expensive, the postage delay waiting for it to arrive would be the greatest pain.

Good luck. Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 07 May 2022 19:21 #234882

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 388
Thanks 180wannabe, I appreciate you taking the time to look for it.
Yes, I’ll keep a lookout on eBay for the REPCO books including Vandervell as well.
Cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 07 May 2022 19:36 #234883

• Gryphon
  • Thank you received: 665
Hi,

I am pretty sure I saw some Repco catalogues in the HCVCA Library when I was last there and we have just set up an email address for them to take enquiries such as this so if you send an email with the details of what you are looking for to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. one of the gents should be able to find what you need. However they are only on-site on a Wednesday afternoon so the response wont be immediate.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 07 May 2022 19:58 #234884

• Pierre
Ooh, OK Gryphon I’ll do that
Cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 29 May 2022 20:16 #235529

• Urchy87
  • Thank you received: 210
Hey Pierre, always enjoy reading your thread, it’s full of great discussion. Good to see the project still rolling along too. I have a question for you. How do you plan on mounting the tray? I’m up to this with the F250 but have stalled as the whole thing feels like an insurmountable task as I’m a loan wolf and getting it on there with the tractor is simply a headache. Had some suggestions on a post I’ve done previously but curious to see what you are going to do. Thanks.
Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 29 May 2022 20:50 #235534

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1574
For the 'lone wolf' workers you can lift your try up and place it on 200ltr drums with a couple of timbers running across. Back/roll the chassis under it and use a jack to remove the timbers and get it off the drums
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87

Bedford K Restoration 29 May 2022 20:56 #235535

• Pierre
Hi Urchy87, you just beat me to updating this thread tonight. :)
I have my original tray main beams that were rotted out on the ends so I cut rebates & added new hardwood inserts & screwed & glued them together with coach screws. My plan is to attached the tray to the chassis as it was originally done with 3 or 4 U-bolts each side with 3/8" thick keeper plates. I have just done this temporarily with bent threaded rod at the moment, but I will purchase some new U-bolts made up by Industrial Springs here in Adelaide.
I've made up new cross-member hardwood beams & brought the o/all width into ~1800mm.
Thanks for following & I'm glad your enjoying all the input from the forum. :)
cheers
Pierre

Now here's my update:-

Guys, yes I'm still here!, I was disappointed with the startup & 2km test run as engine was still a bit Smokey & probably unacceptable for SA DRT inspection, plus the sump end gaskets we’re still leaking even with the Permatex 2 sealer.

So, after careful thought I decided to pull it apart again! ( I just love doing things twice) :ohmy: :sick:

Cylinder Head is off again & the felt style valve seals that came with the VRS kit have been replaced with press on type, valve guides bushed & valves refaced.

New piston rings from JP Pistons (local manufacturer here in Adelaide) have arrived & will be fitted after a deglaze hone of the cylinders.
Cylinder bores still within STD specs.
Piston ring gaps were .026/.027” so that would not have helped oil sealing & compression either.
Manual states between .008/.021”.
.013” being the optimum using the std formulae calc for this size bore.

Many thanks to Dennis Brooks of the HCVC Club who took the time to research their library for the REPCO Engine Bearing brochures & dig out part numbers for con-rod & main bearings for this '53 K Bedford.
I’ve thanked him under a separate email, but thanks again Dennis.

Thanks also to Gryphon on this forum for initiating this reference resource/contact for me. Thanks Terry

I’ll be changing out con-rod bearings & checking the mains as well.

Photos & more progress updates to follow, grandkids permitting!

Cheers for now
Pierre ;)
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Urchy87, PaulFH, asw120

Bedford K Restoration 29 May 2022 21:11 #235536

• Pierre
Urchy87, sorry I re-read your post & obviously your tray is all in one piece.
With mine, I have all loose wooden beams that I cut & drilled from s/h hardwood & used the old beams as templates so I can man handle & bolt em up one beam at a time.

Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 03 Jun 2022 20:10 #235686

• Urchy87
  • Thank you received: 210
Thanks mate. Sounds like you are looking to mount the tray similar to how I intend. Appears that you have taken a few steps backwards with the motor. Hope you don’t run into too many more issues on that front. Mine is a bit smokey too, hoping it clears up once it gets a couple decent drives under the belt.
Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 04 Jun 2022 09:16 #235696

• Pierre
Thanks Urchy87,
Yeah, bit of a setback, but I’ll press on carefully.
Hard to get enthused in the shed this weather though. :dry:
Pierre

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558