Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jun 2022 11:55 #236128

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 407
Cylinder bores now de-glazed & everything cleaned up with brake cleaner & oiled to avoid rust flashing.
Prior to de-glazing the crank journals were wrapped in plastic & paper towel stuffed down the bottom of the cylinders to catch most of the gritty oily waste.
New piston rings have had their gaps sized for each bore/piston (all gaps within the range of.012-.014") & now fitted to pistons.
Will orientate ring gaps as per the workshop manual, ie:- Oil Ring gap to face away from the camshaft & the two compression rings located so that the three gaps are equally spaced around each piston.
I've cut a couple of pieces of hose to put over the con rod bolts to protect the bores & crank journals while I lower the pistons into the bores.
Now looking for my ring compression tool which has gone walkabout, so maybe a trip to the auto parts store. :huh:

We keep chipping away ;)

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jun 2022 16:29 #236136

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1624
Pierre, if you keep doing the job that professionally you will have a line up of new customers wanting you to do their engines. Fitting rings to pistons can be fun especially if they are small rings like on a mower engine. So I started using my ring compressor back to front by fitting the rings on the outside of the compressor and then sliding the lot over the piston and slipping them off one at a time.
All this hard work will pay you back in the long run with a sweet running engine.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jun 2022 20:07 #236152

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2624
Thats great to make progress like this, even if it doesn't completely fix all your problems it will definitely run a lot better and give a good feeling of satisfaction knowing you've done it

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jun 2022 20:25 #236155

• Pierre
Thanks cobbadog & Mrsmackpaul for your comments. This forum gives fellas like me the support & inspiration to keep going even when we hit big obstacles & have to do things twice.
Cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jun 2022 21:11 #236160

• cobbadog
I rfeally know what your saying Pierre. I have been down the fuel tank road way too many times and I want to resolve it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jul 2022 21:05 #237352

• Pierre
Hi guys, the recon Cylinder Head has been re-fitted to the engine block. (thanks to my two sons - saved me hiring a trailer & hoist)
The head & manifold faces were re-faced & the back of the guides machined to take new style Posi Stem Seals for the valves, replacing the felt valve seals supplied with the first VCR Kit. K-Line Valve Guide-Liners were also installed.

A check on the exhaust manifold highlighted a ~.020" out of flat with a straight edge, so I've had that refaced as well.

New gaskets fitted

I just need to re-set the static timing, flush radiator & fill with coolant, then refit / seal both the engine side plate cover & sump (with its infamous gaskets). Refill with oil.

I noticed the exhaust manifold to front pipe flange gasket had some blow by going on when I removed it, so I'll need to re-visit this & re-align that correctly & add some sealant paste at the join.
Probably need to make the front pipe mounting point rigid to the engine/gearbox & the rest of the exhaust system attached by rubber mounts so any engine movement doesn't try to pull the joint apart .
Anyone used the JB RTV Hi-temp paste?

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, asw120

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jul 2022 21:36 #237354

• Pierre
Also need to sort out that poor oil return pipe connection from the filter to the block as mentioned in previous post.
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jul 2022 21:46 #237356

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2624
Looking like it all has a better chance of sealing up now

I have only ever used Maniseal

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 18 Jul 2022 21:58 #237359

• cobbadog
I would have thought that the engine pipe usually is fixed to the engine/gearbox then on hangers after that. SOunds like the head is better than new now too. Maniseal is the best sealnat on exhaust systems plus I used it on the joints and it made it easy to break the joint a year later.

Bedford K Restoration 19 Jul 2022 06:56 #237369

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 6943
Nice job Pierre.

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558