Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 05 May 2020 19:00 #209631

• wee-allis
  • Thank you received: 614
I'm with Zuffen, spigot bearing stuck on the front of the input shaft and up against the clutch plate. Unbolt the pressure plate, and then pull the lot back far enough to get the spigot bearing off the shaft. Although it is stuck, I doubt that it will be seized on very tightly. It should come off with a bit of a pry. good luck with it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 05 May 2020 20:06 #209637

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 752
Fortunately ,all the Chev type motors have the same kind of half housing ,so removing the pressure plate bolts is childs play.

Bedford K Restoration 06 May 2020 00:49 #209651

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
Hang on, child labour is no longer encouraged or allowed! :ohmy: :whistle:

HVMF? Historic Vehicle M F ? Tell me more . . . :unsure:

Last edit: by PDU.

Bedford K Restoration 06 May 2020 09:09 #209664

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Thanks guys. I'll be armed with your suggestions when I tackle it again today. I'll keep you posted on results.
Not sure I can get in there to unbolt the pressure plate but we'll see.

PDU, just Google Historic Military Vehicle Military Forum. Having been in the army I just love reading how others bring military vehicles back to life from the brink of death. Fabulous work by enthusiast’s just like on this site.

cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Bedford K Restoration 06 May 2020 13:19 #209683

• Lang
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 4042
Pierre

You probably know but the MLU (Maple Leaf Up) Forum is the best I know for non-American people. Still lots of American vehicles but aimed at Canadian, British and Australia.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Bedford K Restoration 06 May 2020 18:20 #209697

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 364
Be warned, on the pre WW2 section of the HMVF thete are two restorations pinned to the top.
Both are of vehicles restored meticulously starting with a bucket full of rusty bolts (ok; a chassis and not much else). They will keep you busy for weeks, but you will learn heaps.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Bedford K Restoration 06 May 2020 19:45 #209709

• Pierre
Guys, well today I re-checked alignment of gearbox to ensure extraction process was true. All good, but still would not budge.
Let's grab a 1' square x 2ft piece of RHS and give it a good lever.
Still took a lot of effort but out she popped.
SUCCESS!:)
I guess, given the rust on the spline that's the area that was holding her in. (see spline photo attached)

Will check gears & put the lid back on & clean off 67years of baked on grease & mud.
Given the caked on oil & grease it looks like a new top gasket will need to be made.
Any recommended gasket material for this job?

Pulling the engine will be the next major job but it will have to wait until after the next few days of rain passes.
Thanks all for your input & support appreciated as usual.

ASW120 / Lang, yes I'm aware of both these points you raised. We learn every day on these forums, ;)

Pierre ya forgot to click the INSERT to get your pics in the frame. Good job on the gear box. Sarge.

Cheers Pierre
Pierre
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

Last edit: by Sarge :-X.

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 09:14 #214125

• Pierre
Hi fellow listers, before I pull the engine to refurbish the head & replace a leaking welch plug at the rear of the motor (including all the others) I'd like to give the motor a run.
Now given I've stripped the wiring harness out & not quite ready to refit the new one yet what do I need to do to run the engine?
I have the battery connected, stater motor turns motor over with the starter button & distributor & leads still attached. Distributor still connected to the coil.
Is it just a matter of hooking up fuel source & connecting the coil SW to the + side of the battery?
Any other electrical concerns?
Water pump & fan are removed but I can put them back on.
Don't want to connect the new radiator yet until I've flushed out the block so will run water from a garden hose.
Hasn't run for 20 years but as I've mentioned previously it was pretty smokey.
Just want to check & see how bad it really was. & hear it running again!
You know how it is! :) :)
Plus it will be good info to test run the unit before it goes back in.
cheers Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 10:36 #214129

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1339
Just connect the coil and splash some fuel in the carby and crank it over
Might need to chuck some oil down the plug holes first to lube things a bit and provide a better seal
I would wind it over a bit with out the plugs in to get some oil on bearings etc
Then let it rip

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 10:41 #214130

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 356
I'd do exactly as Paul suggested.
Once the bores are lubed compression should rise, plugs back in (after a good clean) and it should start.

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558