Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 15:39 #214132

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 752
If you have the crash gearbox,a lot of the gears and shafts interchange with Chev Blitz parts,which can still be found new.......The 4 speed synchro box is near identical to the Chev Saginaw box.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 19:15 #214135

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 750
Even though I have been very quiet lately I am still active with my Bedford, and will have to update my blog soon.

It would be good to see yours burst into life Pierre - I'll be in Adelaide Saturday and would love to call in but the other half and grand-daughter are hell bent on other things!? (It's the grand-daughter's birthday on September !st - Wattle Day/Old Car Day.)

Video your attempt to start it, warts and all; can't be any worse than B for's replacement engine firing up . . . :dry:

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 19:36 #214136

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
Thaks guys for the advice.

First go was just an encouraging cough/splutter & then the battery died. :unsure:
Will need to enlist the missus to operate the starter from inside the cab & leave me free to play with fuel & throttle/choke.

PDU will give the video a go, but will have to wait a day, looking after grand kids tomorrow.

John.K. - Mine has the 4 speed syncho box. I'm not familiar with Chev Saginaw box? Did Holden use them in the early Holdens?

cheers
Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 21:11 #214139

• Sarge :-X
  • Thank you received: 302
Pierre, is your starter cable operated, if so you can easily reach the lever arm while choking the carby, I would spray Aerostart if you want to be sure of fuel supply. My O ran on the fuel from an open 4 ltre icecream box with a gravity feed to the carby, stupid but worked, old Briggs n Strat tank needed to take it for a drive.

If the engine is coming out only for the welch plugs you might consider the advice given to me by our much more learned fellow forumites, either cut the firewall, not me, or punch the plug in and seat the replacement in on top of it. It won't cause any harm and you won't load and stress it enough to have heating issues. Just saying.

Looking forward to your video, they have a nice noise
Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Bedford K Restoration 25 Aug 2020 23:30 #214145

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 393

Pierre, is your starter cable operated, if so you can easily reach the lever arm while choking the carby, I would spray Aerostart if you want to be sure of fuel supply. My O ran on the fuel from an open 4 ltre icecream box with a gravity feed to the carby, stupid but worked, old Briggs n Strat tank needed to take it for a drive.

If the engine is coming out only for the welch plugs you might consider the advice given to me by our much more learned fellow forumites, either cut the firewall, not me, or punch the plug in and seat the replacement in on top of it. It won't cause any harm and you won't load and stress it enough to have heating issues. Just saying.

Looking forward to your video, they have a nice noise

I wouldn’t recommend punching the old one in and leaving it there to rust away and inhibit water flow and possible overheating problems.

Last edit: by overnite.

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 08:28 #214147

• Morris
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 572
I agree with overnite. I would NEVER punch a welch plug in and leave it to cause all sorts of problems. I have found that I can punch in ONE side of the plug and, because it usually lets the other side poke out a bit, grab it with multigrips or pliers and pull the plug out. You may need to tip it up a bit with an old screwdriver to get a grip on it.

I always use brass welch plugs, they cost about one dollar more than steel ones but never corrode, thus never need replacing again. I always put a little bead of silicone around the edge of the plug or the hole, whichever is easier, before fitting the new plug. Use radiator treatment (green stuff) to prevent future corrosion.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 08:56 #214149

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 364
If I understand it correctly, the only reason for this (punching the old one in) is that the welsh plug is basically inaccessible with the engine in the truck.
I couldn't see it causing any harm. (dodgy as it may sound)
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 09:03 #214150

• Pierre
  • Pierre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 219
overnite - Not sure what you mean here "is your starter cable operated, if so you can easily reach the lever arm while choking the carby", Yes the starter cable is connected to the starter & the floor starter button & battery as per normal.
Are you suggesting I re-arrange that set-up to use both hands?

Sarge - Nope, can't cut the firewall, understand the suspect welch plug is under the bell housing, water leaked into the clutch cover plate.
Yes I was planning to run a gravity fuel feed & good idea with the Aerostart will try that,

Morris- I'd already replaced one of the welch plugs with a brass unit when I first bought the truck & aware of how to knock em out & refit. Thanks for the reminder.

PDU - Sorry you can't call in, perhaps next time your down in Adelaide. Keep up your good work, watching with interest.

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated
cheers Pierre
Pierre

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 16:31 #214152

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 393
Pierre, you’ve got me mixed up me with someone else. I didn’t comment on your starter. That was from Sarge. My comment was under his re the welch plug.

Last edit: by overnite.

Bedford K Restoration 26 Aug 2020 20:33 #214160

• 180wannabe
  • Thank you received: 138
Pierre, re cable operated starter - it seems you have a starter switch on the floor so this doesn't apply to you.
Some starter motors have the switch on the starter, and it is cable activated by pulling a knob on the dash, like a choke cable.
With this type, you can operate the switch by hand from under the bonnet, whilst fiddling with the carby.
Hope this explanation clears up any confusion.

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558