Skip to main content

Dodge timing

More
4 years 1 month ago #207059 by Bluey60
Dodge timing was created by Bluey60
Hi all
Sons partner has a 74 dodge with a 318 in it have been having ignition issues which we have got to the bottom of I think what I need to know is where the timing mark on the harmonic balancer lines up to
Also firing order and numbering order of cylinders
Cheers Bluey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207060 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Dodge timing
I'm only guessing here but maybe the indicator arm is missing, not fitted last time someone had it apart in that area. IT may be attached using one of the cover bolts and locked into the correct position by a block.
While waiting for a sensible reply use Mr Google, he knows more than my Missus.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207061 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Dodge timing

cobbadog wrote: I'm only guessing here but maybe the indicator arm is missing, not fitted last time someone had it apart in that area. IT may be attached using one of the cover bolts and locked into the correct position by a block.
While waiting for a sensible reply use Mr Google, he knows more than my Missus.

Cobbadog, you’re treading on dangerous grounds there. I think you’ll find nobody knows more than your wife. Just ask her, I’m sure she’ll confirm I’m true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 month ago #207063 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Dodge timing
My bride taught Google everything he knows. Just ask her.....If your game.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #207065 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Dodge timing
Here is your firing order and cylinder numbering. No pointer, it is on the block.

Lang

Check the video

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207066 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Dodge timing
Hi Bluey,

I am not really familiar with these engines, but i do have a book that shows a graduated indicator plate that is attached by the bottom water pump bolt closest to the fuel lift pump. The indicator plate is located at approximately 11 o'clock in relation to the harmonic balancer, looking from the front. Cobbbadog might be right that perhaps it hasn't been put back on at some stage.

The cylinders are numbered from front to back, passenger side 1,3,5,7 and drivers side 2,4,6,8.
The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

This book/info i have is for White combine harvesters fitted with 318 engine, so i am only assuming automotive application is the same. I do have a Dodge truck book which covers the 313 engine, it doesn't show a picture, but says that the timing chain cover has a line marked O (TDC) on it.

Hope this is of some help. Brett.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207067 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Dodge timing
Ahh, brilliant work Lang! Seems i type too slowly....... Brett.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207077 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Dodge timing
Thanks for the warning overnight but I wear the pants in this family and I will come out from under the bed when I'm ready.
I must admit she is bloody clever and picks this stuff up quickly. When people at rallies ask about one of our toys I let her speak about it and the look on their faces gives me a lot of pleasure. Even when I helped not done the engine rebuild on her tractor she remembered the whole process and can talk about it to anyone with confidence. I was especially evident when re-ling her brake shoes that she does have issues with anger managent. The way she flogged them rivets over after splitting them to roll over was as good as it gets.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207084 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Dodge timing
Yes Cobbadog, I know the feeling, much the same here. I’m the boss, nobody is going to tell me when it’s time to do the dishes and vacuum the carpet. lol.

More
4 years 1 month ago #207114 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Dodge timing
Thanks for the replies the old girl is firing again (the dodge that is)
The young fellas missus is happy and the other old girl is to because I told her I can do the washing and vacuuming now I have that job done
God it’s hard when there’s two that chase you to do all these jobs
Cheers Bluey

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds