Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 1 week ago #208340 by V8Ian

Morris wrote: Repco sell a product called Hylomar both to brush on, or in a spray can. for applying to head gaskets. I have used the spray can version for the last several heads I have replaced. All many years ago now. Mine were all new gaskets but it should help on good condition used ones.

You have to watch out for that arse-bestos but I am 75 and experts say it takes 40 years for mesothelioma to affect you, so I don't care.

You will when you're 116, Morris. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #208364 by Morris
V8Ian,
When i am 116, I will get you to help me and if you don't I will haunt you!:ohmy:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

More
4 years 1 week ago #208409 by PDU

Copper wrapped asbestos - Morris and V8Ian?

And axle relocation plates coming along nicely. Perhaps I could even use two bump stops?

Someone out there must have an old M series Bedford chassis they're not using - I need two u-bolts and the bump stops, please, pretty please, beg, beg, grovel . . . :blush:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 week ago #208504 by PDU
After drilling out the holes in the plates to accommodate the u-bolts I was ready to move onto the holes in the axle. Because the springs are angled inwards towards the front this meant slotting the holes towards the centre-line accordingly. Eight holes slotted about 3/16" with a round file :pinch: took a tad over two hours, stopping only for water, wipe away perspiration, clean glasses and then back into it . . . until they looked as intended, and I had a blister on my thumb!
Next I had the fun of attaching the plates to the springs and aligning the axle onto the locating dowels in the plates. Three holes still need a little bit of finessing with the file but I was still able to snug everything up so it couldn't move. ;)

With this done I loosely refitted the front guard again to see whether the wheel was centred in the wheel arch - the result justifies all my measuring, checking, and re-measuring.

The tyre sticks out about 3/4", but when I have them reset, they'll be back under the guard by the same amount. AND while I was at it I took two pictures to show how they look from the front:
TOO WIDE
NO WAY!
The second one is reminiscent of the old Morris J2 Messenger vans - only worse!? :ohmy: :sick:

I used to have a Commer version of one of these with Buick 15 x 7 inch wheels on the back, three double bus seats in the rear for my five kids (at that time) and room to spare. :blink:
Please note, I still need two M type u-bolts . . . ?

More
4 years 1 week ago #208508 by Lang
This is the best $34 you would ever spend at Bunnings.

Attachments:

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #208510 by PDU
Yeah, I know Lang, while I was filing my life away I reminisced about my days as a fitter/toolmaker, and knew there were easier ways to do the job. I also thought about the old German tradesman I worked with for a while during my apprenticeship, he showed me the advantages of using hand tools, rather than machines, and I was surprised how much quicker it can sometimes be to finish a job when you don't have to wait in a queue to use a machine, or ferret around for the gear you need to do it. Also, when there is a power failure you just carry on . . . getting blisters and sweating profusely. Must be stubborn, dogged persistence and determination that drives me on. Either that or I'm just a wee bit thick!? unsure: :blush:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, cobbadog, Lang

More
4 years 1 week ago #208518 by JOHN.K.
I d be more inclined to use a blue flame multi purpose slotting tool....lots of other uses too.......Incidentally ,I moved the axle in a Inter AA like this ,and had to reposition the arm on the steering box ....I fitted an Austin 6cyl diesel ,reliable old motor ,but too much black smoke even for those days.......only 300 ci ,but far too big for an Inter .....should have paid a few extra dollars for a Perkins.,and could have left the steering alone.

More
4 years 1 week ago #208525 by PDU
Got rid of my oxy gear about thirty years ago John.K., :ohmy: :lol:
Meanwhile all is in hand with the steering box. The hole spacing for the steering box is three and a half inches, so I may just drill one hole and move it that amount instead of the three inches that the axle has been shunted - hopefully I'll be able to pick that up on the splines? :unsure:
When you moved your axle did you use two or three u-bolts, and was your bump stop over the axle, or in the original position? :)

More
4 years 1 week ago #208528 by asw120
I am feeling your pain of a few weeks back.

Engine had 7 spark plugs in it. Piston is corroded right through.

Back to your regular programme:

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #208533 by JOHN.K.
Certainly didnt use 3 u bolts......dont think it was anything like 3" either ....do recall the wheel was back in the guard ,and quite obvious to everyone......but the conversion had other talking points ,I had to oxy cut the firewall to get the motor to fit....made a mess of a nice truck......Didnt matter in those days .......still ,it was my first diesel truck ,and oddly enough one of the few Ive sold on ,and not cut up in the back yard.
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by JOHN.K..

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds