Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207703 by PDU
And so I headed into Week 6 of ownership and things started to get interesting: Continued measuring and checking until satisfied with the position of the rear cab cross member, drilled holes for bolts (larger than I would have expected to use but of the same diameter as the original rivets) after which the cross member was firmly bolted in place using nyloc nuts. A template was made for the front cab mountings, with various positions and configurations tried until finally selecting one that used an existing hole on both sides of the chassis as a datum point. The plates were then duplicated for LH/RH mounts and bolted in place. Once these were in place a distance piece was made to ensure the holes for the mounting studs were also correctly positioned. The holes for these were left undersize until studs can be arranged and tapping size established.
The result was neater than the earlier mock-up, with the mounting stud location and rubber donut a little more centrally located, and with an added gusset to the side of chassis below.
I then had a day off to check out the HCVC run to Pt Pirie and went to their AGM/dinner - nice bunch :unsure: ;) . Precursor to joining officially later.
Welded brscing pieces to end of gussets, painted, drilled and fitted them to the chassis beneath the cab front mountings. Ready to trial fit cab.
It was just prior to doing this that I discovered the front axle is in a position about three inches further back than the O type front axle!! Instant panic! :ohmy: It would appear that either the axle is relocated forward, or the M type chassis is not used and just revert to the O type chassis. :blink: :dry:
Decided to trial fit the cab to check the steering box location relative to the cab and then re-assess the axle or cab location after that. Date: 16/3/20 (almost into current time now).

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207708 by hayseed
PDU, I've just moved this into the "restoration chat" Section..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207731 by Gryphon

Pierre wrote: PDU, here ya go

you can find the chat about MKII Jaguars here, www.hcvc.com.au/forum/general/18589-a-jaguar-mkii#207718

Terry
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Gryphon. Reason: thread going off topic.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207737 by PDU
That looks very nice Pierre, BUT are you now moonlighting under a new banner . . . Gryphon? I'm confused now whether you are one or t'other?
Could it be that Gryphon is based on the Griffin in the Bedford logo?

While writing this I have just realised that I have been confusing you with Claire (Bob). Ergo I am now wondering if I did actually visit you, or was it Bob? :unsure: Maybe that proves I'm getting old and feeble! :blush:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207739 by Pierre
PDU, no i'm not moonlighting & i'm not Gryphon nor Claire.
When you said you visited me I thought that was just a throw away line.
Don't worry PDU we all have those moments!!!!
cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207749 by Gryphon

PDU wrote: That looks very nice Pierre, BUT are you now moonlighting under a new banner . . . Gryphon? I'm confused now whether you are one or t'other?
Could it be that Gryphon is based on the Griffin in the Bedford logo?

I split the six posts talking about the Jag into its own thread and needed to create a new post to show the pictures and the link to the new thread.

No connection with Bedford other than both are referring to the same Heraldy symbol of the part lion, part raptor.

Terry

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207750 by PDU
Next I had to transfer the cab from O type chassis to M type . . .
. . . This was an exercise in supporting the cab and then somehow moving it forward, back towards its original mountings on the O type chassis. No mean feat without any skyhooks, supporting gantry, forklift, or even somebody else to assist me. As always I plodded on alone, using lengths of timber or steel tubing, some levers, and a small trolley jack (which incidentally fitted the circular mounting plate on the back of the cab perfectly).
The first part was relatively easy, the original longitudinal boards for the tray were sufficiently high to support the cab clear of any obstructions, and the wide front axle was well clear of the cab sides. Two long sections of steel C channel (not ideal - but the best I had to hand, and they worked) were laid from the front of the longitudinal boards and across the gap onto the new chassis, suitably supported along the way. The gap was actually only about an inch as I had aligned the M type chassis and moved it closer.
The actual transfer across the gap was a difficult section of the move as I had very little head room and the support pieces were constantly juggled around as the weight gradually transferred to the new chassis. But then I was stuck as the rear axle was too narrow to allow the cab to slide past as it had done with the extra wide O type front axle. At the same time I couldn’t lift it any higher because there was no clearance to do so. My solution was set up some supports from the rear of the new chassis back and under the overhanging cab, then rolled the cab and chassis forward.
Once clear of the carport overhang I paused for a breather - this initial move had taken about two and a half hours! I then repositioned the supports to continue with the move forward, but this time without the advantage of any longitudinal support timbers.
Sidenote: From this point onwards the new chassis (and cab) will be referred to as B for and the old one will be the O type chassis.

And so I kept going . . .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207751 by PDU
Cab transfer continued: The rest of the day was spent moving the cab up and over the back wheels, and gradually forward. The lower front guard mountings that extend below the sides of the cab made this particularly difficult, but I was determined not to remove them (stubborn old fart) and, despite having the cab tip sideways precariously at one point, managed to bring everything back onto an even keel - after which I was able to move it forward again, over the petrol tank, and ending the day (note the lengthening shadows) approximately a foot behind the mounting points. The narrow front axle, that has to be moved forward will probably prevent me from reaching them as is!? Time will tell . . . :unsure: Date: 17/3/20
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207753 by Zuffen
That was an effort.

If you had another set of hands the job would have been done in a couple of hours.

Been there too many times.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207765 by PDU
And onto the mountings: The following day an hour of work saw the cab lifted up and over the cab rear crossmember locating stud and onto the mountings, but it was hard up against the wheels.
With the sun getting hotter the shade alongside the house looked to be more comfortable, so I reversed the front wheels and was then able to push B for forward. The wheels look rather weird, especially with the unusual front wheel bearing housings outboard of the brakes, but at least the truck can be moved like this.
Final work for the day was confirming that the bonnet to nose cone clearance is close to the mark, and assessing the front axle. :unsure: :(

Yes, I put the side panels on the wrong way round, but I fixed it the following day! :pinch: :blush: Although the extra hands would be helpful Zuffen I prefer working by myself - less criticism and inane comments, plus I work or rest when the mood catches me, and nobody whines about it. B) As I'm almost up to real time now, I guess my postings will slow down to a more normal, lethargic rate now . . .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 1.150 seconds