Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 9 months ago #212336 by PDU
Ah, that explains why the McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel post has been quiet for a while. :unsure:

Enjoy your holiday cobba and company . . . ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212338 by Lang
PDU

Just saying but - If the paint is on so good that it takes hours to remove it must be bloody solid and firmly attached to the body. Why not just get into it with the sander taking it down to metal but leaving the scratches and minor imperfections filled and put your primer over what will be a strong smooth surface?

Maybe you just like the idea of bare metal and are enjoying the buzz.

Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago #212341 by PDU
Yeah, I have considered leaving some on Lang, but I've been here before and have seen bad reactions to what has been there before by the paint that follows. Seeing it is only a truck cab, and not a complete car body, I decided to go all the way (and we all know how good that feels?).

I shall labour on . . . ;)

More
3 years 9 months ago #212360 by cobbadog
That good old lead based paint does hang on and is the reason why to remove it. It can have an adverse reaction with some of the later style paints. Also if old paint can be covered by the new, if it is not 'feathered out' properly it will stick out like a sore thumb. While at this stage continue with the bare metal prep, yes it takes more time, yes you will get good results.
Old Mac is still waiting parts but must be close now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 9 months ago #212366 by IHScout
I've seen elsewhere people recommending the flapper discs as the quickest way to remove old paint. Not tried them myself but have seen many people endorse that method.

Dennis

More
3 years 9 months ago #212370 by PDU
Tried 'em several times IHScout, on B for again too, good for a while but tend to get loaded up. I appreciate they come in various grades and can even be "trimmed" to clean, BUT not going there anymore - or at least until I want to give a final run over whatever??? :unsure:

The reason I relay what I find as I go :huh: is to assist others that may follow on behind with their own projects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog

More
3 years 9 months ago #212384 by Mrsmackpaul
Dunno if this link works

But some years ago a fella V8 Inter nut dunno up a C line Inter and he stripped it back to bare metal
He used a different type of doohickie

Anyway after much searching I found it and am gunna try and share the link to the page were it shows the wheel thing for his grinder

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/8415-the-c-line-resto?start=170

Its a good build and well worth the read if you have the time

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

More
3 years 9 months ago #212390 by cobbadog
They are good and do remove paint quite well but they are also very soft and wear out quick. I used 4 of them on the fascia of the house and got about 12 metres along the way before going back to sanding discs.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212395 by Zuffen
They do wear fast and aren't cheap by any stretch.

I have a couple left over but they won't be replaced.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212399 by PDU
Mrsmackpaul, cobbadog, and Zuffen: Thanks for that paint stripping disc info - I tried one of these on a previous project and wasn't overly impressed, but will try again as life has got to improve on what is happening round here lately??? (Nothing to lose, except cost :unsure: )

Also, v8 inter nut's post WAS a great read, and a long read too :whistle: . . . Oh, that B for will ever be half as good as that!?

Meanwhile: back on Op Shop duty today :S

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds