Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207769 by cobbadog
An awful lot of hard but rewarding work, done now. I can relate to the bit about working at your own pace and alone, I do the same. Look forward to any progress as it happens.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207770 by PDU
That's where I'm at right now cobbadog, simply sharing and appreciating any feedback or comments that I might get, and hopefully it may encourage others to move on with their own projects. I am only in the early stages with this and can see a ton of work ahead, but by laying it all out bit by bit in an open disclosure it creates a situation where I either succeed or fail, and it isn't nice failing when others can see what you're doing!? :huh: :blink: The axle is going to be a problem (fore and aft location, as well as width), the front cab mountings still need some work, I still need to find an engine (hopefully that runs, or at least capable of doing so), the brake system needs finalising, and on top of that there is the work needed on the cab and what I have in mind for the rear section . . . :pinch: :dry: We must be masochists working on these things? Just keep the support coming, it helps knowing that we're not really alone after all. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207773 by olfrt
A friend of mine has an engine and gearbox out of a 1955 Bedford that he wants to sell. Located in Echuca. It hasn't run for a few years, but I could see if it starts up if that suits you.

To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207782 by PDU
Thanks olfrt, but 1600 km round trip, and across borders!? Not at the moment I guess, but if you could check it out it would be appreciated. I'm looking at a '61 J Series engine at the moment, but without any assurances??? :unsure: :blink:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207802 by cobbadog
Keep at it and "all ahead full" will get you there. With some projects you feel as if your slogging away and all for nothing and one day you think, wow, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and, no, it's not a bloody train coming.
All this engineering work and problem solving is good for the head once it's resolved and bad up until that happens.
With my latest project I have inspired a mate to put his fishing boat back onto the trailer and go home and continue his stationary engine project. All this was done by not sayiong anything but jsut showing what trouble I am getting myself into. So keep at it fella.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207858 by PDU
Well things work out nicely at times . . . the Austin being re-advertised and sold in two hours put some money in my working fund and I went to look at the J series. After trying two batteries with no joy, and unable to turn it at the front pulley, the engine may be locked. Despite this I made an on the spot attempt to remove the engine with only mediocre results. :blush:
Wanting to have an engine on hand if the coronavirus locked down movements I negotiated with a friend to pick the vehicle up and transfer to his yard where the engine would be removed ready for me to pick up on the weekend.
Once the J series owner knew the engine was not turning AND the car would be gone that day I was able to buy the whole thing at a reduced amount - knowing that all I would actually retain from the vehicle would be the engine, radiator and fuel tank, the rest being purely scrap metal to the friend.
NB If you desperately need something from it I could possibly follow it up with him for you, but it would have to be soon!? The tipper supposedly works but the tray is very rusty and the brakes are not working - otherwise I would have grabbed the master cylinder and servo :whistle:.
The picture below makes it look much better than it really is; and the engine did come with a distributor cap and leads but I had already stashed them in my car with the radiator when I took the picture.
I have also been busy at home but I'll leave that until tomorrow . . . you are now only two or three days behind real time. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #207874 by PDU
In the meantime I was busy making space on the driveway (again) and moved B for into the main garage before impending rain stops play. :dry:
Even a simple manoeuvre like this becomes an exercise in logistical analysis as one car will hamper the move of another and so on, with my wife totally confused throughout why the move is even necessary.
And some people pay to go to a gym!?
At least I now have more time available as other interests such as our local Heritage Centre, and Men's Shed (where I am committed quite heavily), and even family and friends, etc, have now been reduced to socially acceptable distances.
As long as we all keep safe everything should be okay . . . :unsure:
Pictures below show B for on its way into the main garage, with three quarters of an inch clearance, :) and then in the back half of the garage where it can be hidden away and I can work on it in peace??? :S This was essential, in order to have good flooring underneath before undertaking the front axle realignment further forward.

The only thing on the driveway now is the O type chassis - waiting to be stripped of anything I might need for B for and then off to the scrappies (although scrap metal prices have just dropped markedly!?).

Next move is another trip to Adelaide to pick up the J series engine . . .
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, PaulFH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207876 by Swishy
Can't wait
to see the rest of the alphabet
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207877 by JOHN.K.
You should grab the 4 sp box too,they used to be very hard to find ,cant imagine thats changed.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207881 by Sarge
Those Chassis timbers look good, and made from unobtanium too I should think. Actually if ya get another O you could use the 4 chassis rails for shed up rights and the timbers for rafters, one new parking spot for the toy collection.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 1.072 seconds