Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 6 months ago #214762 by PDU
It IS correct and legal as required, checked with a magnet - no point doing it wrong, my life is worth more than that. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214800 by PDU
Good couple of days: engine back in (unpainted :huh:), gearbox mountings made and trial fitted prior to some fettling.

Also, created a new swaged reinforcement piece for the driver's side bulk head as the original was basically a mangled, rusty mess. I'd been wondering where I was going to find a piece for this and utilised a section from the old door that was replaced.

It has been my intention to fill the section behind the dash board, to hide the electrics, include a heater with ducting outlets, and create a glove box. The angle iron was salvaged from the end of an old bed frame and the corflute template gives an idea where I'm heading when I've found some sheet steel, albeit with an access section in the middle . . .

. . . Once that's done I'll have to get Ernie back on the job again. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, asw120

More
3 years 6 months ago #214813 by cobbadog
Now thats looking good. Nice job to re-use the swaged section from the door, recycling at its best. That bed iron is the best stuff to work with. Has plenty of tensile strength and is as tough as nails.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 6 months ago #214870 by PDU
Another busy day today: tipped the cab back - which sounds easy, but is bloody heavy, and awkward, when working single handed. This allowed removal of the cross-member which had to be returned to the O type chassis.

After doing that it was time to move the cab across the void between the M and O type chassis . . . marvellous what you can do with a few surplus garden edgings. No hooks or cranes, just bone headed muscle and relying on Archimedes principles. :blink:

Once that was done it was relatively easy spinning it around, ready to sit it back where it originally came from. Can't sit it up again yet though as one of the front mounting bolts needs to be replaced - broken no doubt when the truck took its hit in the front RH corner that pushed so much out of shape. :unsure:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
3 years 6 months ago #214879 by cobbadog
It is amzing what you can achieve on your own when there are minimum choices. Each move gets you closer to the end goal so keep up the good work.
I can't remeber but when you mentioned about the broken bolt from a previous incident, have you done any cross measurements on the chassis?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214881 by PDU
I have done some quick diagonal measurements and all would appear to be square - the front right corner of the cab seems to have taken a reasonable whack causing the cab to suffer some distortion and to shear the front RH mounting bolt. The lead wiping on the front right guard also is indicative of being hit, not so bad that it was replaced but probably some flattening (as against folding or severely crumpled) that was redeemable. The truck was repaired, continuing to be used until the engine hemorrhaged - it has only been the rebuild that has uncovered the situation. Of course all this being conjecture and my assessment of what might have happened. :unsure:

NB I will check measurements again over the next few days. :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #214895 by Zuffen
Is Archimedes your next door neighbour?

He sounds Greek by his name.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214903 by PDU
Zuffen: Archimedes' principle of levers - enough to make a bloke feel like Stavros Flatley when things work for you . . . ;)

Cobbadog: Extremely minimal (feeler gauge) push towards LHS right at the front of RH rail - barely noticeable using a metre straight edge; and even less in the same direction on the LH rail. It does not concern me at all, I'm sure if it was bent, and subsequently straightened, it wouldn't be much better than it is now. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago #214908 by Morris
Say what you like about Archimedes, at least he had Principals. :silly: I think he was the first person to say Screw it.:blush:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120, oliver1950

More
3 years 6 months ago #215029 by PDU
Friday: LOTS of gyprock at Men's Shed . . . 6 metres sheets all round the recreation area, lots of adhesive and screws, plus trimming around doors, etc, and without a doubt the crew was shagged when done - geriatric old farts!

Saturday: Time to slip the cab back into place, single handed? It can be done . . . :ohmy:

Gradually ease cab up with shoulder and slide packers under, repeat, repeat, etc . . .

Tie rope so cab can be moved forward gradually, gradually, towards the tipping point, then carefully connect engine crane. NB Going past the tipping point there is no holding it single handed - I discovered that when I rolled it backwards on the other chassis!!! :pinch:

Then slowly lower it down onto the mounting pads. All too easy, BUT, is anything that easy or simple for me?
What could possibly go wrong - the cab was here before, what have I missed?

Wait until the next report. :unsure: :oops: :lol:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds