Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 11 months ago #207884 by Zuffen
Clearly T is for Triumph.

Do I spy a Herald, a 2000 and perhaps a 2.5"

I had a Herald 12/50 Coupe as my second car after a Renault Dauphine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #207888 by asw120
Thought I spotted H for Humber....

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 11 months ago #207894 by cobbadog
A was for Austin and B is for Bedford, next C is for Commer, D is for Daimler and so on. you have a lot of projects in front of you fella.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #207896 by PDU
Funny buggers!
Actually the LH side of the main garage is H division, as that is where the Herald and the Humber are parked (asw120 and Zuffen).
The RH side WAS T Division, and home of the Triumph 2000 MD Special, and a spare standard 2000, and off to the right is my "I've never seen one before, so I might try it" Mk 1 2000 with Commodore V6 in it (aka my Trimodore). :pinch: :side:
Slotting B for in there is only a temporary change until I have come to grips with the front axle problem - after which it will be reassigned to the carport where the Austin used to hide.
I wasn't too fussed about the gearbox John.K. as the J type mounts appeared to be a little different to the one I already have from the '51 chassis.
Sarge, although the timbers are substantial, there will be no additional sheds here, wood or metal. After some trial fitting of some trusses and rails recently, I chose not to use them as almost 50% of my block would have been under roofs. Council may have objected, and I saw no reason to risk upsetting them!

Also, just by coincidence I saw a running O type yesterday . . . available too, along with a very clean M type with a 253 and auto (not available :S).
AND talking of the chassis timbers reminds me of some thoughts I have had about my proposed tray; the O type timbers, dressed, could be used, but would need to be shortened and ideally narrowed down as they are very high as is. But is wood really necessary? Why not strips of heavy rubber sheeting (the type with cloth in it) between the chassis and tray?
OR
Why not metal cross members direct to metal chassis rails (with or without rubber between)?
No more tonight, not after the colour extravaganza I gave you up above! :lol: B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 11 months ago #207899 by Morris
Only three quarters of an inch clearance? My Father, who was totally useless with motor vehicles or any handyman stuff used to say "You only need the thickness of a coat of paint" (as clearance).

I do not know what you will do when you get to X but Z would be Zepher, hopefully American V8 from late 1930's but probably English from 1950's-60's, and I can help you with parts for a 1920's Yellow Knight!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #207906 by PDU
:lol: Morris :lol: But being an ex chalkie I've got to correct your spelling error with Zephyr :oops: which would be an early Mk 2; but not the English Estate car :ohmy: the Australian Wagon looks much better. I put a Y block 272 V8 in one of those when I was having a quiet weekend just to see how quickly I could do it. :pinch: Started on the Saturday morning and was driving it on the Sunday afternoon!
Wish I could work at that rate now :unsure:
I used to play a gane with the kids when driving where we would take turns going through the alphabet with all sorts of things like cars, flowers, boys names, girls names, etc. My alphabet may in fact have had the heavy weight Russian Zil on numerous occasions. :blink:
Below is a 1956 Zil (somewhat Buickish) and a 1956 Zil truck:
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #207908 by JOHN.K.
My brother had some pieces of hardwood about that size ....I asked for a bit ....he said it was $50 a meter ,and had caught the builders using lengths of the wood for wheelbarrow track.

More
3 years 11 months ago #207915 by Morris
PDU, I thought my spelling did not look right but I was in too much hurry to check. I will blame the computer, anyway.

I had forgotten about ZIL and it's cousin ZIS, which I think was East German?

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
3 years 11 months ago #207916 by Morris
I just re-read my earlier message and saw that I wrote the American Zephyr as having a V8 but of course it was a V12 flathead.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
3 years 11 months ago #207918 by Lang
X might be a bit tricky although "Xpletive" might cater for all English cars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Zuffen

Time to create page: 1.118 seconds