Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 2 months ago #218096 by 180wannabe
I thought it was a plane blade.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218100 by hayseed

mammoth wrote: Indeed, however there is a real slotted plate half way along the tyre image

I think it may be something like this....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218102 by PDU
Now all this just goes to show that:
1. Some of you don't have an adjustable set square . . .

AND 2. Either your memory is failing OR you haven't read ALL my blog re what I am intending - it was mentioned, with a picture, about nine or ten months ago.

Today I cut some more tubing, sorted out the accelerator linkage, connected the brake booster (which eliminated the need for a choke cable) and started the engine with me in the drivers seat for the first time. Brakes still to be bled, and handbrake adjusted before trying the clutch/gearbox/etc out. My January 20th deadline is looking far more promising, although while checking back through this blog to see where I had put the photo of my build intentions I discovered that it didn't come onto my driveway until the 31st!? I now have eleven more days up my sleeve. :woohoo:

I'll have to add two clips to facebook so they will play here . . . the first from the time I hit the starter solenoid (it fires up really easily) but sounds a bit rough as I hit the accelerator pedal, not surprising as it needs one of those round type exhaust flange gaskets. :huh: :whistle:

Annoyingly/amusingly the start is accompanied by crashing sounds in the background as my temporarily mounted bits of tubing fall to the floor!! :lol:

Consequently I added the second clip with it just idling . . . ;)

www.facebook.com/100007645893635/videos/...16/2730957657169071/

ALSO Apologies to Swishy, I have realised that you have been referring to me a Big Down Under for a while, I must have been having a momentary brain fade? :blush:
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
3 years 2 months ago #218195 by PDU
Knowing I now have eleven days extra until my deadline is great, but despite still not having bled the brakes, or adjusted the handbrake, I thought, "What the hey, may as well check the clutch out," fired it up and drove it for the first time. :woohoo: Not very far mind, maybe a couple of inches forward, and then back again, but driving under its own power. :huh:

Meanwhile the rear of the tray is slowly taking shape, albeit with modifications as I go, particularly to achieve the built in steps and spare wheel access. Too early for pictures yet, but maybe by the end of the weekend . . . :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 2 months ago #218198 by Mrsmackpaul
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the pickys

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218246 by PDU
Anything to keep you amused Paul, wait no longer for piccies . . .

The first picture has the two rear corners of the tray held on by two tek screws apiece, and the steps by two clamps. The whole setup has just been attached to allow marking where bits need to be trimmed off, or bent to suit. The rear bumper bar was tried simply because it was laying around handy but being from an M Type Bedford is somewhat narrower than needed (I have considered splitting it in the middle and mounting the number plate in the replacement section???) The bumper forms the first step up to the tray. The second step will be hinged across the top edge to allow access to the spare wheel which is in the original location.

In the next picture I added a piece of corflute to show vaguely where I'm heading and to fill the hole, as I don't have any metal to put in there at this time. The rear bar has been changed to a piece of 2mm wall, 65mm square tubing - the more likely rear bumper. Either bar will need additional bracing further forward. The narrow section of angle iron assists the line up of the two sides until the top of each is completed..

And finally, the side view gives an idea of that profile - ala streamliner (tongue in cheek).

More fettling of sheet metal, quite a few welds still to be completed, and lots of grinding to clean things up too. Not pretty yet, but getting there. :pinch:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 2 months ago #218268 by Mrsmackpaul
Looks a bit like the ass end of a fire truck to me

Sure its getting there

Keeping eyes peeled as it wont be long till your done

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #218276 by cobbadog
I suggested a fire truck boby back in post #218080 but was not confirmed then.
So if not a fire truck then it has to be a service vehicle set up.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218282 by PDU
It COULD be any number of ways, but the answer is back in my blog, about nine months back.

EDIT: Whoopsy, more apologies are needed, after rechecking that particular post (#207985]. I made a minor error saying, "without the tank for liquids . . . " :ohmy: :blush:

At the time I probably was not trying to give too much information, but that has been the plan all along - with a minor complication in wanting the top to lift up sorta pop-top accommodation style!? :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 2 months ago #218328 by PDU
Grind, grind, beat, bend, shift, grind . . . :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.714 seconds