Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #222576 by PDU
Oh wow, over a month since posting on here?

Contrary to how it appears I have been busy, even though little shows outwardly. My welder mate, Ernie, has been quite sick and out of action (not COVID related) which effects how things have been progressing.

I have addressed jobs that were definitely on the back burner list, such as swapping the generator over to an alternator.

To keep things simple (wiring wise) it had to be one with a built in regulator, and although I had two sitting on "spare" engines they were both unfortunately RHS mounted which consequently required a longer adjustable mount (the Bedford generator was LHS mounted). The chosen unit came from an eighties Ford Falcon and now utilises the original Bedford belt, lower mounting to the block (modified), and an instant over-the-top adjustable mount . . . :huh:

The rear guards now have strips bolted to them which will be welded into the frame when Ernie is back on deck. This was not how we had planned to mount them - they would have been welded in place, but now they will be removable (much better idea :blush:). Sandwiched in between the guard and the strips will be another wider strip of metal which will form the wheel arch section. Sounds complicated but even in its early stages is looking quite good (my opinion of course :lol:). Hard to show these but piccie anyway:

I have also been busy with possible solutions for making a lift up centre section on the rear framework using a purloined pop top caravan mechanism. This should make the rear construction even more complicated BUT will allow standing room when up. The intention being a truck that will "look like" a petrol tanker, but which can also serve as a camper when/if required. :unsure:

PLUS
My usual commitments to my other interests (Men's Shed, Lodge, Nuriootpa run with S.A. H.C.V.C., 8-Ball, Bingo, Heritage Centre, family, caravan trekking, etc, etc) which have kept me more than a little occupied. Who ever said being retired would give a bloke more time!? :whistle:

PS It would be nice to get the floor in but two welding jobs are required down below so that's held up too. The finish generally may lead to me using it under the guards and cab also. :unsure:

Excuse me while I go for a rest . . .
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH, Pierre, asw120, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #223138 by PDU
So frustrating waiting for Ernie . . .
However I am still doing little things such as:
1. Used my arc welder to weld some inner wheel arch mounting pieces that I fitted to the two sections of Highway 1 signs inside the back of the tray. These were bent to duplicate the curvature of the guards and to which I fitted a wheel arch on one side, but only to one side as I was not happy with the result. :huh: Several days of deliberation and trial and error before I reduced the width of the pieces that will ultimately be welded into the framework (by Ernie). Having done that I bolted the guards, wheel arch pieces and narrowed strips together securely. The inner pieces are simply mounted for now, less the ex Highway 1 signs . . .

2. Connected fuel line from the R.H. fuel tank, to fuel pump. This snakes its way past the clutch mechanism to the fuel pump using the usual fasteners to the chassis. Once this was done I would have started the engine except the temporary wiring used previously was another of the "to do" jobs. Consequently . . .
3. As the original ignition/lighting switch unit was unusable :dry: I fitted an alternative ignition switch into the central hole, key operated, woohoooo! Much better than the flick switch used previously. I plan to use a late model combined indicator/lighting switch, but that is still on the "to do" list.
4. Mounted a key operated solenoid down alongside the starter motor where it can be easily accessed through a little folding door that O Types have in the set back bodywork, inside the cab, much better than the manually operated one which was standard and placed in a position where it could be pushed by clumsy passenger!?
5. Attempted to start engine only to discover nothing happening at the fuel pump. Suspected lack of fuel in tank despite having put about three litres in the tank. Added another fifteen litres, same result. Disconnected fuel line at tank and put a wire down the pick up tube, not blocked. Considered possible air leak in tube, blew bubbles in the petrol and decided pump probably wasn't working (I previously had an electric pump from a bottle of petrol to fuel line up to carburetor).
6. As I had a section of rubber tube between tank and pump (where I was going to fit an inline filter later) I slipped the electric pump in there. Of course by that time I was back into temporary mode again :blush: with the wires being quickly connected to coil/earth (bodgily) and a rubber hose bypassing the fuel pump. Key was turned, pump ticked merrily, too merrily!? No fuel coming through! Hmmm, perhaps the pump isn't faulty? BUT, I knew it should be coming through, so back to the fuel tank again.
At this point as a sidenote: No doubt we all go through these little problems while trying to reach our goals, but I seem to strike so many of these annoying little issues. :(
6. contd. Immediate solution was to use the L.H. tank on the R.H. side. This needed to have the elbow rotated at which point I discovered that the down tube was soldered to the elbow, not in the top of the tank as on the other tank; perhaps that is where it was drawing in air. Swapped tanks, transferred petrol, turned key and engine started. :)
7. Entered shed the following day (after being at the Men's Shed all day) to a distinct smell of petrol!? :ohmy: Still some petrol in tank, but obviously a leaky tank!!
Why me? Does someone hate me? :pinch: :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, Urchy87

More
2 years 8 months ago #223145 by Mrsmackpaul
I think its called character building

Good work and you would have little to report if nothing went wrong

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
2 years 8 months ago #223155 by cobbadog
If the project all went smoothly then it is not a challenge any more. So now you will fix the hole or leak in the tank, find out exactly what is wrong with the first tank and get on with the next fix. It may not feel like it but your are winning, have a look back at your first post, you are winning.
You are just having a lot of luck at the moment, it is just not good luck but it will happen.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87, PDU

More
2 years 8 months ago #223156 by Morris
PDU, all those things going wrong are just to keep you on your toes and stop boredom setting in.

As long as they are happening to you and not to me, I am happy.

You are doing an amazing job, so is Ernie.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #223165 by PDU
Today's first job was to sluice the shed out, which would be straightforward if it was down hill to the front and not the back!
Tank was decidedly lighter and moved into my other shed for draining and consideration. Could not see any obvious leaking points and I suspect that it could be a leaking seam? :unsure:
Back to the good tank, it soon became apparent that the tanks have two different threads for the elbow to screw into. (See? Someone doesn't like me. :silly:) Eliminating the offending tube so the good one could be fitted would not work, unless the hole was drilled out and tapped to suit. Possibly the correct approach but not having the necessary taps I tried cleaning the end of the elbow so it would seal down against the down tube if the elbow could be screwed in further. I wonder whether they ever put an O ring or rubber washer in there originally???
Tank was then slotted back into place and ignition turned on, vigorous ticking but no start initially until carburetor was treated to some petrol. After which it fired up and ran reasonably well. The tube has obviously decided to let my cheapo solution suffice. :blink:
That's as good as I expect for now, at least until I actually get around to changing the plugs, setting the points, and connecting a vacuum advance hose . . . poor old engine, everything is against it running (including me) but it once again manages to struggle into life when the key is turned. ;)
www.facebook.com/martin.stephens.9674/vi..._processed&ref=notif
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, cobbadog, wee-allis

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224092 by PDU
Ernie, my friendly mig welder mate, called in again on Friday after a two month lay-off (health related). His time was limited so it was a case of which job first . . . although opting for the fuel tank brackets which were holding up progress putting the floor back in was an obvious choice. Now the tank brackets are welded I don't have to rely on the handful of Tekkies which were holding them in position. ;)
He also did a bit more welding around the front of the tray. . . but it's still a l-o-n-g way from being finished :dry:
Progress has also been slowed by my working balance ($$$), which is limited at the best of times, but things have improved somewhat by selling off my Holden Adventra, and the remains of the second Triumph Herald that was used used in building my red and white coupe. Even better there is a potential buyer for my "spare" M Type chassis, hampered by COVID border restrictions though. This, combined with the other two sales, will really help finance some more sheeting for the tray.
Even better was to come when Ernie returned Saturday morning (he never works on weekends!!!?) to weld the rear bumper bar. A concerted hours work and I now have a one piece bar about 15cm wider than it was before. More grinding before I put a picture on here though! Have I ever mentioned I dislike grinding? :huh: :unsure: B)

P.S. A special thankyou to Pierre for checking to see if I was still alive :cheer:, and as you would have noticed Pierre, I didn't get down to Adelaide on the weekend, but will call on when I do. :cheer:
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #224093 by Mrsmackpaul
Yes the old work life dollars conundrum
Foils most dreams and puts plans on hold and holds up progress

It is still great to have progress even if it is only baby steps

Just keep chipping away, you'll be surprised at what you can achieve

We bought a Adventura new and a Cross 6 one tonner
Still have them, grear cars except for the minor constant electrical problems, central locking and this and that
Mind you ours have been on farms there entire lives

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224099 by PDU
Mine needed a timing chain replacement Paul, and at approximately $1500 for parts alone things just didn't add up for me - especially as I had the replacement diesel Territory already on duty. Sold at a realistic price in less than two hours; just like when I sold my Austin truck (and both probably too cheap!). B)

Now, time to grind the back bumper bar welds . . .
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 7 months ago #224101 by cobbadog
Dont forget to wear your ear plugs PDU. That way you cant hear yourself swearing at doing all this grinding.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.690 seconds