Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 6 months ago #225124 by Pierre
Coming along nicely PDU. Great work with the indicator switch. Always nice to utilize/convert parts you already have in stock.

Re SU Carbys, I've had a lot of problems with my pair on the MK2 Jag, but touch wood they have being running OK in recent months.

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #225128 by Morris
SU petrol pumps work very well and very reliably when set up and repaired correctly.
Be aware that there are two types, pushers and suckers. Pusher obviously goes near the fuel tank and sucker goes near the carby. Bigger capacity motors have twin SU's on a double mounting.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 6 months ago #225129 by Lang
Morris

I agree they work very well when working but I must strongly disagree about reliable. Almost any body who has had SU pumps over the years can relate the trail of tears. Anything with spark jumping points must fail eventually be it door bells, ignition points, voltage regulators or SU pumps. I have no idea of the figures but I am willing to put money on a modern $27 Brackett pump from REPCO having a far longer mean-time-between-failure than the old SU. Of course you can not even mention SU in the same sentence as Japanese pumps be they transfer between tanks on four wheel drives or just engine pumps.

Just my opinion (but strongly held through sad experience)

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, PDU

More
2 years 6 months ago #225133 by Pierre
Oops, sorry all, I misread previous msgs as carbs not fuel pumps. :silly:
Had to toss my original SU pump on the Jag just became too unreliable.
Cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 6 months ago #225141 by PDU
Need we say more? :oops: Sorry Morris, but the jury is out - and it would appear the verdict is not too favourable towards those unreliable S.U. fuel pumps. :blink:

Meanwhile back to the rear guards, and with metal delivered about 2:00 I had a go at cutting the two pieces for the driver's side . . .
. . . first piece (on the left) was cut out with a curved pair of tin snips - hard work and distorted the metal somewhat. Second piece (obviously, to the right :whistle:) was cut with the trusty disc grinder - straightforward, simple, and no distortion. I'm sure you can guess how I'll be cutting the passengers side pieces tomorrow afternoon :lol:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
2 years 6 months ago #225156 by cobbadog
No, never smoked that funny stuff but was silly enough to smoke up to around 10 years back.
My coment on those SU pumps was only based on theones I had in cars in the past and the never gave any issues. One was set up on my FC Holden feeding twin SU carbies and for the 4 years I had them it just worked. The other was in the boot of a mini I had for a while, again that never gave me issues but the head did.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 6 months ago #225162 by Lang
Now SU carburettors are a different thing. What a great simple flexible and reliable design .

More
2 years 6 months ago #225165 by Morris
It would appear that I had a better run out of my SU than most. I had one in an Austin for the seven years that I owned it and it gave no trouble at all. A member of the Morris Register of Victoria gave a lesson on re-building them a while ago.

A Company called SUMidel in Shitsme is now the supplier of new technology SU pumps and I suppose, other things as well. I believe they bought the rights etc. from Smiths Union in the UK.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #225285 by PDU
Ernie came back again, earlier than normal (cos his wife is away) and we got stuck into a serious days work . . .until the mig wire ran out :pinch: which meant a round trip into Port Pirie (one hour) before we could get back into it. Sheet metal around the rear guards now (generously) tack welded into the frame work on the inside.

I appreciate this is not very clear (what's new?) but the hole behind the guard will (probably) be a side door for a storage box, both sides. Next job for me now will be to unbolt the rear guards so the joint between side panels and the outer mounting face can be fully welded (no holes around the bead). I slipped the upper sheet metal on quickly for pictures, although there is a reasonable amount of titivating before it will be totally ready, with a horizontal side "rubbing strip" about 3/4" above the guard. The idea of this is to conceal the overlapped sheets (upper/lower) and the tek screws holding upper and lower sheeting along the frame rail. The upper tekkies will be hidden by the overlapping piece along the top of the picture. (Clearer??? :unsure:)

Apart from this various joints around the frame that were finish welded Erie also attacked the driver's side floor that had a star shaped split in the middle :huh:, and some mountings added at the rear to bolt the rear bumper bar on.
All in all a lot was done, I'd be lost without Ernie - although I would probably just soldier on with my stick welder . . . :blink:
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 6 months ago #225287 by Pierre
Coming along nicely PDU, there's a lot of sheet metal work going on there! ;)
How you coping with all the guillotining & folding have you got access to machines up there?
A great project
cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

Time to create page: 0.679 seconds