2 years 5 months ago #227630 by Mrsmackpaul
PDU have sent you a messageĀ 

PaulĀ 

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227705 by PDU
Checked out the post Paul and I recognise the pain he was having. I liked his sink usage and initially considered looking for an old fridge to purloin the curves for the leading edge of the tray sides. However using 0.5mm sheet it bends smoothly enough, so didn't bother.

I also have access to an old bus that I could remove the sheeting from BUT it is 200km away, with very limited access, and no power available. Consequently I just slog on as I am.

Personally I'll blame Malcom Fraser, "Life wasn't meant to be easy." :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227711 by Morris
PDU I am probably wrong but I think that saying was first by (Sir) Winston Churchill.
Raiding that bus should be easy enough with a battery powered drill (for the pop rivets) and a battery operated angle grinder to cut the sheets to size.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 5 months ago #227714 by wee-allis

PDU I am probably wrong but I think that saying was first by (Sir) Winston Churchill.
Raiding that bus should be easy enough with a battery powered drill (for the pop rivets) and a battery operated angle grinder to cut the sheets to size.

But he would be using old second hand sheet that would no doubt have a fair bit of rust attached underneath. No Pom, stick with you plan. You've done well so far and we have faith in you to finish in grand scale.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
2 years 5 months ago #227724 by asw120
The sheets on that bus may be Sikaflexed on, anyway....

Jarrod.

ā€œI offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about themā€

ā€• Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 5 months ago #227729 by Morris
asw120 Is probably correct. You will make a better job with new metal, anyway. Keep the pictures coming!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227744 by PDU
Yeah took all those points into consideration along the way and it was simpler overall to go with the new sheeting.

As expected I have been distracted with any amount of side issues elsewhere but have managed to single-handedly cajole the lower section into (sort of) the right position on the driver's side. :dry: So ignoring the minimal number of clamps and tek screws holding everything in place, this should make clearer what I have been trying to achieve. There are still some little tricks I won't mention at this time to take away that slab sided appearance . . . but that will come later. Also try to see past the waviness of the sheeting in places, it is a work in progress after all.

And the little bit I had been dreading, where the sheet was split so the top would curve around, but the bottom did a sharper bend set back slightly from the curved bit. An unnecessary complication, but it is how I have envisaged this from the start (for whatever reason!?) - basically the step will be extended back further than standard to assist access into that kinda cramped door opening.

Not 100% correct, but within MY acceptable tolerances. :huh: Note, creating the curve was no drama, but the right angles were a little more work - particularly towards the centreline and around the frame upright. :pinch:

The most frustrating part about this is the fact it will all need to come back off (probably several times) before final fitment AND the other side has to be done next. On the positive side though, the strip above will be a doddle in comparison. ;)
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 5 months ago #227795 by Mrsmackpaul
A rubber mallet and good size bit of channel or I beam and a couple of clamps can give a nice sharp crisp result on a bend

Thinking even a piece of railway iron up side would have a nice sharp straight edge

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 5 months ago #227807 by PDU
Hey, my project is small time compared to some of your aspirations Paul - but after my best efforts I do use jacks, levers, clamps and the odd decent size lump of wood plus a big smash 'em knocker to suggest things into the position and shape that I want them. :lol: All this with my trusty string and tape and eyeballs to ensure accurate placement!? :blink:

Cheers, Shoe String Bedford Productions Unlimited
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229488 by PDU
Very little appears to have been happening around here for the last month or so, in fact I'm surprised this blog hasn't turned up in the missing in action post!? :blink:

A "spare" engine has been obtained and the shed has been cleaned up around the truck to improve access. The PT Cruiser has gone to a new home, and I have a mass of accumulated stuff from the Men's Shed that I'm holding until we are ready to finally place it! AND, despite a failure to succeed with repairing the Heritage Centre's 48 215 Holden master cylinder and brakes, the combined efforts of the Centre's volunteers hastily repaired a 100 year young self propelled wheel chair instead - that was then used to scoot around Crystal Brook's Christmas Pageant under the control of yours truly. So you can see I have been busy elsewhere too . . .

That being said, so far as B for is concerned, work is still progressing and I'll stand by my old saying, " slow progress is better than no progress." :blush:

Apologies for no pictures Morris, perhaps this week - if I get the chance? :unsure:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds