Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 15 Dec 2021 08:43 #229501

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 888
I have often thought about the naming/ model designation of those Chrysler Cruisers. They call them a Turnpike Cruiser but the model is a PT. Should it be called "PurnTike"? It is all too hard for me.
I know that turnpike is an American name for a freeway. They pinched it from medieval Britain where bandits held a "Pike" (lance) across a road and did not turn it until a coach driver paid them.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 15 Dec 2021 16:03 #229504

• PDU
  • PDU's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1030
Another gem of useless information duly stored in the grey matter; thanks, I didn't know that. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 15 Dec 2021 16:52 #229513

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1462
We all need a break sometimes from our projects and in the long run it is a very good thing to do. It clears the head of some if not all of the possible headaches you thought might be an issue. Doing something different for a while makes it all the better when you get back to it and you are really ready to continue.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter- Action, PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 15 Dec 2021 21:19 #229534

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 888
PDU Do not stress about the photos. I am keen to see them but when you are ready will be fine.

Hurry up with that "B for" resto because when you get to Y, I have parts for a Yellow Knight, made in the mid 1920's by either Yellow Cab Co. or Yellow Coach, both divisions of General Motors, with your name on them.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveus6, PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 19 Dec 2021 22:35 #229692

• cobbadog
The term 'Turnpike Cruiser' was mentioned recently and I just watched a recorded show and in it was a Mercury Turnpike car being restored. Lots of chrome and a 3 piece rear window and the centre piece was electrically operated up and down. Apparently made for only a couple of years. Intersting but ugly vehicle but at least it was saved.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 24 Dec 2021 07:51 #229809

• PDU
Have been busily putting some corflute on the turret over the last week which will eventually be covered by the metal sheeting. Dome head tek screws used - and if unsuitable long term can be replaced by pop rivets. I shouldn't think this will be necessary as the screws won't have a chance to come undone under the outer skin.

At least it looks like something is happening again, even if the happy snap constraints within the shed do not help - perhaps I should shove it outside for a side view of the whole truck? :unsure:

Happy Christmas all and enjoy the festivities . . .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Zuffen, oliver1950

Last edit: by PDU.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 07 Jan 2022 21:04 #230328

• PDU
And a new year rolls around . . .The "new" engine has shifted from where I had initially stacked it, into the the shed where B for is as I couldn't easily access things beyond where the engine was. Dumb move considering there was more room to work on where it was.
When I moved it to its new spot I placed it where I could easily access the distributor which appeared to have been shovelled full of mud at some stage!? Thus, with the starter motor up against the wall, I reluctantly removed the distributor and after much scraping and blowing things came good, including the vacuum advance doing what it should. :)
Next I hooked it up to a battery for a trial start only to find the starter motor was non operational and needed to be removed! :oops: One step forward and three steps back - seems standard practice for me . . .
The starter motor proved to be rusted solid; so was clamped in a vice and with a large pair of Stillsons things started to move, but not sufficiently to stimulate movement with 12 volts of incentive. :angry: More lubrication and Armstrong work.
During yet another break I went and dug out B for's original starter motor - considerably better, and after a quick clean up turned the "new" engine over freely . . . although without a hint of doing anything exciting, not even a hint of a backfire! This was despite my being positive the distributor was installed correctly? Of course it would be nice if I could find the timing mark on the flywheel, even with number one cylinder towards the top on the compression stroke and scanning for any semblance of a mark. Nothing!
At this point I wandered away from it all, due to the temperature not being conducive to further effort, and considered the current situation with the engine in the truck. This has water in the sump, no doubt due to the modified (incorrect) gasket used when I was first freeing what had formerly been a seized engine (like a year ago ). Ah, thinks I, perhaps it was time to change to Plan B . . .
Plan B: Leave the engine in the truck and swap the heads over. Fit a correct gasket, change the inlet manifolds over to do away with the angled carburettor mounting, change the exhaust manifolds as the one on there has broken flange on one side (nut and bolt was working okay though :whistle:) and no reason why it shouldn't run again. I could even fit all the new bits for the distributor just for the hell of it. Sounded like a sensible plan to me??? Benefit to this would also include keeping my existing clutch and gearbox which appear to be working okay.
Back two days later and pulled the head and manifolds as one - no sense making things too hard for myself. One exhaust stud to be replaced, a general clean-up and paint should suffice. Better still the head gasket still looks quite useable AND the bores in the donor engine look really good, in case I need it later? Head is currently sitting on a recently acquired ex hospital trolley ready for working on the exhaust stud. Meanwhile, on the wiring side of things, I have been playing with a new switch panel below the dash and just aft of the recessed engine housing. Plan is to include two cup holders and a shelf up on top for convenience and all the useless nick-nacks sometimes carried. Rocker switches have two lights one small one when the ignition is turned on . . .

. . . and a larger one when switch is activated.

Although it’s kinda basic at the moment (did I hear somebody suggest, “like everything else”?) but later will have uhf, sound deadener, and upholstery on there. :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, PaulFH, oliver1950

Last edit: by PDU.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 07 Jan 2022 22:00 #230334

• cobbadog
Keep at it PDU, one bite at a time and you will win.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 08 Jan 2022 01:38 #230337

• V8Ian
  • Thank you received: 373
PDU, do you know where the timing marks are supposed to be? Where have you looked? Sometimes they're on the flywheel, sometimes the front pulley. Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, that's not the intention.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 08 Jan 2022 05:28 #230339

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2234
People often talk about the good old days, no cup holders in the good old days
I reckon cup holders are one of the greatest advances in the automotive industry of recent years , we went from nearly 100 years of no one thinking of them to more cup holders than seats in cars

I have no idea about timming marks, many many moons ago when I was young and smart I remember when I wasn't sure on this stuff I would start with my thumb over the spark plug hole to confirm which TDC I was on, then a bit of fencing wire down the plug hole to confirm when I was at TDC

Then I could usually find a timming mark, sometimes I still couldn't, but it gave me a starting point

Pilot motors on Caterpillars often had no timing marks despite what the manual says should be there

Anyway enough dribble from me, carry on your making progress

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.791 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558