Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 09:01 #230613

• PDU
  • PDU's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1077
Shouldn't be necessary, it's a brand new switch mammoth, it is probably the doddering old twit who is doing something wrong . . . :unsure:

. . . basically can't see the wood for all the trees and I'm sure there has to be some simple explanation but it simply isn't leaping out at me yet!?

It will. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 16:14 #230621

• Pierre
  • Thank you received: 407
oooh, did I hear my name mentioned! :lol:
That set-up looks way more complicated than mine PDU. Believe me, I know how much time you can burn up on electrics. :dry:
For what its worth, maybe just try washing out the ignition switch with Electrical Contact Spray & then re grease the contact plates with Petroleum Jelly without pulling out the centre key barrel. :)
Keep going, we're all behind you!! (no good standing in front) :silly:
cheers
Pierre
Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 16:53 #230624

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1628
The break away from the wiring until Friday will be good for you yo gather your thoughts. When you get back to it, it may well all come together for you. Using the test light I find is always the best and simplest way to trace things on the wires. Stick with it as there are many here that are willing to help and offer good advise and encouragement for you.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 18:20 #230633

• PDU
Couldn't wait until Friday so went out there after Men's Shed.

Straight forward tracing the switch wiring. Basically two switches in one, with the left side being for the item being turned on, and the right side supplying power to both lights through the two separate earth connections (whatever).

Nothing different to how I connected it yesterday, except today it decided to work, and then failed, blowing two fuses! After replacing the fuses I discovered the earth terminal for the large light on the first switch is not attached firmly and can disconnect itself with the slightest movement, somehow disrupting everything else. :unsure:

I am still somewhat wary that this is not the whole story, but with the switch unit hanging down by the wires from the fuse block all switches and lights (and ignition switch Pierre:)) functioned as they should. :woohoo:

I was only outside for about half an hour by which time I was wet with perspiration and came back inside, hoping I can count this as a win situation. :S

Once inside I duly drew up a wiring diagram (with a sort of explanation) in case anybody else should happen to buy some of these Jaycar switches. Big question now is, Will it work tomorrow? :blink:

Attachments:

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 19:40 #230638

• 180wannabe
  • Thank you received: 292
The bottom RH terminal could instead be power in from your dash light circuit, so that the small light illuminates only when your dash lights are on, but i guess you could have them illuminate with the ignition on instead if you wanted to.

The middle LH terminal can either be constant live, or only live when the ignition is on. You could have some switches powered one way, and some the other. Live only when the ignition is on might save the odd flat battery if you happen to forget to turn something off.

Brett.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 19:40 #230639

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2634
I gotta ask some really dumb questions

Whats this small light big light business

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 19:48 #230642

• 180wannabe
While you are doing practise set ups and testing, you really only need to use the bottom two LH terminals, power in and power out. Then worry about the dash lights, and "ON" lights later. Might be less confusing while fault finding.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 19:50 #230643

• 180wannabe
Paul, i think the small light is basically a dash light so you can find the switch in the dark. The big light illuminates when the switch is in the ON position. Both are an internal part of the switch. Use of both is optional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Last edit: by 180wannabe. Reason: more detail

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 13 Jan 2022 21:44 #230650

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1628
Att his early stage and still sorting it out I hope you disconnect the battery after play time.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford 14 Jan 2022 01:22 #230657

• PDU
180wannabe is correct about the lights, and yes I do want the small lights to act as ignition "on" indicators. I had some piccies of the lights in action a page or so back Mrsmackpaul. Also, because of their intended uses, switch one is live whether the ignition is on or off, whereas the rest need the ignition on to be live. ;)

I appreciate your electrical understanding/ability Brett (which is why I did not make many comments while you were helping Pierre out with his ignition switch) and realised that I could have ignored the lights - but I was determined to have them functioning as they were intended. Doing otherwise would have been a cop out!? :oops: Ultimately the bodgy terminal will be rectified/replaced - it was obviously the cause of my inconsistent results yesterday.

Rest assured cobbadog that the battery is disconnected when I am not around, and will remain so until the wiring is a lot further along than where it is right now. In a nut shell, I am feeling a lot more positive in light of today's results (pun intended) and thank you for your support. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Last edit: by PDU.
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558