Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 2 months ago #231196 by allan

Being the Shed's secretary I have found it necessary to use Word, just so they can open their minutes! They just don't seem to appreciate the advantages of a desk top publishing program when laying things out where you want them, when to them, the end product sometimes doesn't look any different anyway.

I'm actually looking forward to showing them my two diagrams tomorrow - and then asking them to do likewise with Word. :lol: :evil:

MS Publisher is great, but before distributing your output (to non-users of the software) I recommend you also do a "Save As PDF". That makes it easy for others to read and print. If you do your layout as A4 Portrait then it will print beautifully from the PDF, but is also very compatible with most tablet type devices.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231213 by PDU
Yeah I tried that allan, but some of the plebs still complained they couldn't read them. :dry:

Dearer, but part of windows suite.

Texta is handy in the shed, but drawings with stick in the dirt is the true Aussie way . . . isn't it? Mobile usefulness somewhat compromised though. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231450 by PDU
Two cool days, at last, the head is off the truck's engine and with some sign of water seepage around number six cylinder. Not that I'm rushing into putting the other head on yet as I have other things to look at first. Apart from cleaning up the replacement head and attachments, now is the time to figure out where my wiring is going to go - while I have a little more room around the back of the engine.

To do this I have used the "waste not, want not" approach by utilising the wiring loom salvaged from my Herald Coupe's donor vehicle. This had been cannibalised by a previous owner who had fitted a Datsun engine with alternator. The resultant wiring loom had obviously been fried, although fortunately, after stripping insulation away, only at the cost of one wire. ;) From the loom I have been able to single out the wires for headlights, sidelights, indicators and fuel tank, which now have been plugged into the Herald column switches and loosely routed down the possible path they will ultimately follow. Needless to say I still have several other wires to be included but at this point the untidy jumble of wires is heading in the right direction.

This section of the wiring was the rear wiring from the Herald, nicely intact, but which will need to be stripped to free the fuel tank wire so it can be relocated to suit the truck (Herald's tank was in the boot).

Behind the dash, looks a shambles, the fuse block is unceremoniously tucked into the hole where the speedometer should be, the two strip connectors are where my switch panel wires terminate at the moment, with only one wire connected at the moment to the wiper motor (not working, despite live feed to it).

Down the front are the wires going forward to the lights, etc, and to the right what is left of the Herald's loom, which will provide plenty more yet.

Horrible to look at it like this, no doubt many of you have been there before, but these pictures should make an interesting comparison once things have been sorted and tidied. :unsure: :ohmy:
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 2 months ago #231470 by Pierre
Sorry PDU, but that looks like nightmare, well, for me anyway. :side:
Hope it all comes together for you.;)
Cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #231503 by PDU
Funny incident yesterday - Ernie called in and despite everything sitting awry I was showing him how everything was working. This was a simple matter of first turning the ignition on, which was hanging loose at the end of its wires, then as I reached for the switches I let the switch swing away free - ZAP! All went dead and I knew the live wires on the back of the switch had obviously shorted out on the sheet metal somewhere blowing a fuse. I wasn't really concerned, just a bit annoyed at my silly mistake and, other than disconnecting the battery, ignored it as we looked at a few other things. Checking to see which fuse had blown would wait until later

Next morning, 5.30ish and answering a call of nature I got to thinking about what fuse would have blown, and being au naturel didn't want to go out to the shed. "Ah" thinks I, "check the wiring diagram and that will let me know." Easiest one to get to was the one on this blog (back one page) and sure enough it has to be the second fuse that supplies the power to the ignition switch. :)

I will let you know later, when I go outside whether this is correct. :S B)

Two hours later: Grabbed a replacement and pulled the suspect fuse . . .Bingo! :silly:
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Pierre, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #231551 by cobbadog
Hope you remembered to put your clothes on when you did go out!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231559 by Dave_64
PDU.
Like the way you engineered that (re)wiring! Did a neat job of it, very tidy!
I too have a major rewire to do, any objection to me copying your diagrams?
Thanks, Dave_64

More
2 years 2 months ago #231592 by PDU
Be my guest (or jest) Dave, I'm flattered. :blush:

As mentioned previously in my blog, the fuse block was a cheapie (with more than ample fuses) from flea-bay and the switch panel was from Jaycar. Obviously all the required items would be as per countless other wiring diagrams but I have generally used an older vehicle wiring diagram, replacing the generator with an alternator (inbuilt regulator type makes them easier to wire in) plus any extras that you might want to include.

The Herald's wiring loom was a bonus for me (it was laying around in my "spares department") and simplified laying the bones for my set-up. Again, much easier, and cheaper, using an older system from a pre-computer controlled vehicle and transfer it across. When I put the Commodore V6 into one of my Triumph 2000's it was a bloody nightmare adapting the Commodore computer and Triumph looms together, but I got there, total outlay $30. :woohoo: Something like an early Toyota will supply a good loom and I have used a couple of fuse boxes from an early Crown as they are a neat little unit with a clear plastic lid (old glass fuses though). You'll enjoy crawling around wrecking yards to find a suitable donor. :unsure:

My wiring diagram won't be finished until whenever I get to the back section - although I'm planning to make that a stand alone section via an Anderson connection (purloined from a Pajero I wrecked for the engine and which, if I had seen the Bedford sooner, would have been used in preference to the Bedford chassis :ohmy:).

Feel free to pm me, I've been enjoying your Karrier/Landrover project. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231595 by cobbadog
We are no longer allowed to crawl around the local wrecking yards. Go to the counter amnd ask for what you want, no further options allowed any more. Most likely due to insurance issues.
In the tennager years and in Shitme there was a wrecker named Dollar Wals at Moorebank. You go in and remove what you want and it was a $1 an item. I bought many diffs and axles back then.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231610 by 600Dodge
I really miss the days when you could remove your own parts, spent many a day pulling parts that the yards couldn't be bothered with and that later lead to me working for the yard and regretfully wrecking some cars that are worth big money today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds