Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 1 month ago #231724 by Mrsmackpaul
You keep on trying and sharing your trials and tribulations, you'll be surprised at what others will learn from watching and reading along

Your doing good work there PDU

The hardest learnt lessons are never forgotten

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound, PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #231837 by PDU
Short comment tonight: Wiring progressing, with most (hopefully all) wires required in main loom which is now in a tube loom. They will go down the engine set back section, with some branching off to the engine, while the rest will be routed across to the chassis side rail to go fore and aft as required.

Still looks untidy, but no point getting carried away until the extra bulkhead piece is back in place; and that won't happen until the "new" head goes back on. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231861 by Mrsmackpaul
Lots of pretty colours going there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #231880 by PDU
As it came with the fuse box, apparently GM code (until it reaches the Herald loom) and also with purpose written on the wire along the way. Currently mapping it as it lies, and where the colour codes change along the way. :blush:

Later: Now to convert this first off mud map into something legible (and pretty?). :lol:
Already spotted that I haven't shown the fuel gauge wire - but I know where it is and it will be on the next version of this!
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231965 by cobbadog
In the past when I have used that corrugated tubing for wires I used the little tool that came with the roll. I recvently watched a bloke use a small ring spannerinstead. It was a neat size inside the tubing and he simply started all the wires he wanted through the ring of the spanner and dragged it through.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gryphon, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231968 by PDU
Too late cobbadog, I needed that information a week ago.:lol: Although it may not have been so easy getting the Herald's loom through a ring spanner because of the turn-off for the rear wires :unsure:

Head is cleaned up and top of block/bores cleaned up ready for the head to go back on tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #231981 by PDU
Head ready to go back on, no sweat involved here, all lined up and level . . .

Doing it this way is so easy, should have done it like this years ago instead of straining. Lowered but still not down, head bolts all aligned and screwed in by hand.

Then down it went, pulled bolts down, screwed sideplate cover back to head, reattached oil filter and feeling good, until . . .

Someone does not like me :dry: started by putting the pushrods in and one did not look right, bit of a wriggle and seemed okay, but not to be the case. With rocker gear back on things were clearly not right. Oh well, I'll have to go back one step and take the sideplate cover off so I can drop the cam follower back in where it should be! But not today. :(
This is where the engine set back makes life just a wee bit more difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago #231993 by Pierre
Going great guns PDU, hang in there it will come together! ;)

Just FYI, the last head bolt at the back on the passenger side locks down a clamp/clip to hold the vacuum line, I missed this & didn't notice it till the head was buttoned down. I wasn't going back to do that!! Yours may be different though.

keep going
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago #232000 by Inter-Action
Not to be a to picky, but. In my experience when using lifting chains in that situation , it's a good idea to pack the bolts from under the chain to the head. You could use a couple of sockets or cut yourself a piece of tube to take up the space. Tighten the last link down on to the spacer. The way you have it set up the chains are trying to pull the bolt towards each other and may bend , or worse still pull out of the head , because of the angle.
Just a thought . i have done my share of lifting motors and heads over the years. There is also a leveling bar which is great to keep the head level
regardless of where your hook is attached. Not so bad with that small head, but also handy when installing g/box , with crane through the doorway.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #232022 by PDU
None of the three Bedford motors I have been involved with had any retaining clips for the vacuum advance line Pierre. Thanks anyway though, may help somebody along the way. ;)

Inter-Action: The two screws I used were a tad longer than I would have used normally, but were the first two that came to hand in my "spares" department. :lol: As such, I wasn't fussed that they might bend, and there was ample threasd into the head - I do take your point though. So far as levelling bars are concerned I wouldn't mind one, but it's easy enough to shift hook to suit and haven't crossed paths with one when wandering through swap meets/farket-place/or wherever to date. Also, never considered using the crane for gearbox change, always a first time though I guess - but hopefully won't be needed.

Meanwhile, my wiring diagram is shaping up, but still has a lot of tidying up to do, although all wires are now accounted for. :unsure: I will probably keep the section behind the dash by itself (so it will be bigger) and then have two seperates diagrams, one for the main loom down into the engine bay, and another for the main power supply batterry to starter motor but without the grey wire - using that for the radio (directly in front of passenger).

I am making a point of not going out to the shed with the truck in it today (much as I want to sort that cam follower out); my aim is a tidy up of tools and work benches, before taking some piccies of my three Triumph 2000s ready for advertising them for sale. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.735 seconds