Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 1 month ago #232031 by PDU
Phew, I finally got there . . . B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Lang, Urchy87, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #232033 by Mrsmackpaul
Will be making your own workshop manual before your done

Thats a good job and better than my chicken scratch

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
2 years 1 month ago #232039 by Urchy87
You’ve got some decent progress going on at the moment mate. Keep up the good work, keeps the rest of us inspired to continue on.

I grabbed a level bar from Supercheap a couple weeks ago. Normal price was $80 but was on sale for $60 or so. I’ve got a couple engine jobs coming up plus thought I’d use it with the tractor also when tinkering. For the price I thought, yep, that’s going to save some headaches especially as I’m normally a lone wolf when working on things.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #232040 by PDU
I always have been a one man army, less arguments, um, difference of opinions. Can be frustrating at times trying to be in two places at once, like a nut and bolt - one inside the vehicle and the other outside, but you soon figure how you can jam one spanner against something and carry on with the other. You should have seen me moving the cab from one chassis to another (and back again later) plus turning it around, all unaided. AND I used to push my 30" Bedford bus by myself, fun stuff!

Patience is my best weapon, and eventually I will find a levelling bar for $20! Just need to be positive, and patient. :lol: :dry:
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87

More
2 years 1 month ago #232042 by Urchy87
Ohh the nuts and bolts resonates somewhat, just takes longer. Good luck with the level bar quest.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #232495 by PDU
Update: Cam follower put back where it belongs, rockers gear replaced and quick adjustment, J Type carburettor on and fuel line refitted after changing to slightly different fuel pump (inlet/outlet positions to suit fuel line). All very nice except fuel bowl leaks like a sieve - all my old spare gaskets no good either! New gasket later.

Moved on to leaking welsh plug behind water pump; thought about slipping a new one into the back of the old one, but did the right thing and pulled it out - what size? Went in search for a box of welsh plugs I bought in a garage sale about twenty years ago for $5. Contrary to what usually happens for me sometimes things do go right after all . . .

. . . an inch and 61/64! What sort of size is that!? Lucky me. :woohoo:

PS Before anyone picks me up on it, I know they should be written as welch plugs but my wife comes from Cardiff!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #232496 by Pierre
Hi PDU, I’d be interested to know the thickness of your Side Plate gasket & sealant used.
Mine’s leaking & I’ll have to pull it off again & re seal. Think I’m limited to the thickness of gasket due to the small gap between the side plate /block & distributor.
Good progress
Cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #232497 by PDU
Probably about 1/8" thick Pierre. How bad is yours leaking? They generally do that if they have been over-tightened. Mine has a section that doesn't seal up where a screw has sheared, fortunately up the top near the rocker cover where there is minimal oil floating around, none coming out there so far. Most of it goes down the back of the gasket (which is full sheet the size of the sideplate) and runs down the pushrods into the cam followers (or down the side of the block :pinch:). Marvellous what silastic will stop . . . :whistle:

Meanwhile (waiting for wife to check on fuel pump gasket availability in Port Pirie I dragged out what (I think) looks like an old Austin A40 pump, near as dammit the same activation lever, and with bolt down top over fuel filter instead of glass bowl - same idea but no visibility, not that I'm fussed as I intend putting an inline filter enroute to the pump anyway. Unfortunately the inlet and outlet ports were not where I needed them, considered swapping the one way valves over but instead rotated the top.

Things looked a bit better, albeit with a tight fit for the inlet, and I was then able to reshape the fuel line giving me fuel up to the carburettor. Necessity is the mother of invention. :blush:
NB Electric and/or engine mounted fuel pumps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago #232499 by Pierre
Thanks PDU, I’ll just re-seal it again with a thicker full face gasket & silastik!
Mine was very thin if I remember correctly .
Cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
2 years 1 month ago #232512 by cobbadog
The rocker cover on the David Brown always was a bugga to seal even with a new gasket. I stumbled onto a gasket goo type of stuff specifically for use around oil and it works a real treat. It is a well known brand and has #2 on the tube and is a gteyish black in colour and does not set hard but forms a skin. If you like when we get back home after our 3 week holiday I can hit the shed and find out the name of the bloody stuff. I hav e had the need to break the seal when I was trying to source my ignition / valve problem ages ago and with care at the beginning I was able to remove the cover without damaging the gasket then cleaned it all up like new with thinners.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds