Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233567 by PDU
Some would say that it is determination, but in reality it is plain old stubborn persistence. Good for you, I like your approach and consideration of others, we seem to be of a similar ilk. More power to us . . . and all those others out there who have that dogged streak to achieve our particular aims, even it it might fall short of the initial inspiration!?

No doubt you know of Desiderata, a brilliant piece written by Max Ehrmann (?), a creed which I have lived by since I first read it. It accompanied me for twenty years displayed in my tool box when I worked at GMH and I have passed it on to some of my students when they moved on to high school. One part of it mentions, "Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans." and it ends with, "Strive to be happy." Sums me up today. :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233571 by Morris
PDU, I am a bit late but I have just looked at your last few posts and see how tight the left hand hose to the fuel pump is. I think such a tight bend in the hose is an invitation for a leak. How about putting a 90 degree fitting in the pump and having an easier connection for the hose.

I know it is easy for me to say but after several attempts at fitting the brake pipe across the rear axle of my 1960 Morris Commercial three tonner, so that it does not foul the handbrake do-dads I have finally drilled a new mounting hole half way along the original bracket that holds it to the diff housing. I have no idea how the factory did it.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233576 by Mrsmackpaul

I think some would say it is Karma paying you bak for all the grief so far. Yep, I find it hard to toss scrap metal out and often find a use for these bits. Today we bought another garden light and I wanted to just fit the lamp part on top of an existing post. New post slightly bigger than old one on the ID. So cut a 4" piece off and thought I would drill and screw it. Well this pice of almost shim thickness tube was the hardest bit of metal I've tried to drill for years. Initially thought it was a blunt drill bit but 2 brand new ones were not any better. Finally got the b@st@rd.

When and if I ever get my next tipper trailer video made I can show you anout drilling hardened steel and drilling lots of it

Not suggesting for a moment you don't know how but after some research I got pretty good at it

I must get onto the editing department, oh hang on thats me lol

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233578 by Mrsmackpaul
PDU I have never heard of that poem before

Makes for a interesting read

Thank you

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #233584 by PDU
Glad you like it Paul, it is a brilliant piece of writing.

First bit is specially for Bedford owners . . . :lol:

Also Morris,
I would fit a right angle fitting if I cross paths with one in my travels. In the meantime I'll wait until it fails. :pinch: Over the years I've become reasonably good at fixing my built in bodges.

Like I said before, I'm my own worse enemy. :blink:
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233586 by Pierre
Some great progress there PDU . :)
Yeah I struggled a bit with my nose cone too & made up packers as well, still not 100% satisfied with the fit but it's operational & easy on the eye! ;)
Must confess I have overlooked the splash guards, I've only got the two, one either side of the sump, never had one under the sump on this truck!

I'm not breaking the exhaust apart to fit the LH side splash I'll just see if I can cut through the elliptical hole on the narrow side & slide it on. I have all the attaching screws & washers for mine.

Well done, I'm glad it's running nice & smooth for you.

cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233589 by cobbadog
Is it possible to cut through the side of the guard using tin snips then bend the guard with a twist to slip it in position then bend it back to shape?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #233591 by PDU
After looking at your splash aprons (no rust holes - unlike mine) I gave the centre piece a bit more thought and then had a light bulb moment . . .

. . . I guess I could use it again but the floor is fine as is. Anyone need an O Type centre floor section? :huh:

Re the splash aprons: I also considered cutting the hole open to allow the LH apron to clear the exhaust but realised that would seriously weaken it on that side - it is only that narrow section with the right angle bend that holds everything in shape. Once I had dropped and retried the exhaust it highlighted a minor alignment issue which was easily fixed. Other than the missing rear hanger support on one side (a straightforward mirror image of the remaining one made using some of that wonderful "scrap" collection) and then everything went back into place. The aprons came in handy when I was adding the packers under the radiator catching the odd dropped nut, bolt, washer, spanner, etc. whilst attempting to work in the non-existent space! :oops:
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233593 by Pierre
Once splash guard is cut & slipped over exhaust can you not just tack it back together PDU ? ;)

Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233601 by PDU
You could, and I also considered making a folded piece that could be screwed back after cutting the apron . . . but undoing the exhaust down pipe is simple to do, and not much more difficult to reattach afterwards.

Mind you, are they really necessary? Do they help airflow through the radiator? I doubt it. But (again?) Bedford thought they were a good idea - and they do stop water splashing up onto the electrics. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds