Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233608 by Mrsmackpaul
Would they help keep water of the dizzy ?

Older motors had pretty crap ignition systems and the boots etc on the leads weren't much chop

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233615 by PDU
Yep, as I added at the end, and the reason why I put mine back on.

Sidenote: I once owned an early ('63ish) 220SE Mercedes and on rainy days I made sure the left side did not go into deep puddles if I could avoid it, otherwise it would simp[ly cut out and I then had to dry the distributor cap out. And we won't even go into mini's and 1800's (plastic bags and ice cream containers helped). :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233619 by cobbadog
We used a rubber glove that Ma used when washing up. She never did find out where it went but unbeknown to her, she donated it to the Mini Moke. 4 cylinders gave just the right amount of fingers and a thumb to do all 5 HT leads.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #233629 by PDU
Radiator now secured with nyloc nuts and ticked over nicely on idle for about ten minutes while checking to see if the original capillary tube temperature gauge works. Either it doesn't consider the warm radiator is worth registering or it doesn't! Don't suggest checking with boiling water, I have other issues to contend with before worrying about that.

I mentioned Pierre's speedo cable as I was ready to put mine in; inner cable turning nicely but when slotted into the back of the speedo - locked solid! Ho hum, speedo comes out easily enough ., . . well it will next week :unsure:, after I've gone down south to reclaim caravan and wife from her baby/sea fix. Will have a few days off myself too. :dry:

Sorted out all the original instrument light bulbs, all of which need new wires that can then be hooked into my loom. Along with the light wires also on the agenda for April will be figuring out how/where to feed the UHF aerial lead through the dashboard and up to the roof to the currently non-existent mounting, and fitting the radio into the LHS of the dash where later Bedford's have a glove box. Also have to remount and check the wiper motor following an "instant" but somewhat dubious rewiring job - fingers will be crossed with this. :oops: Then there's the oil pressure gauge wiring (IF it works?) and the alternator connection to "no charge" indicator light (ditto? not sure about connection at the alternator end??).

Which should then wrap up behind the bulkhead/dash after which I can move on to the headlights, side lights, indicators, brake lights, and fuel gauge . . . that should keep me busy for a while, but most important task at the moment is a general clean and tidy up through the house before wife comes home! :whistle:

Consider me off line for a week. B)

PS I have added a couple of "thankyou" type acknowledgements in the last few days that show when I have done them, but then vanish when I come back later. Strange? One was for cobba's last comment re wet BMC front wheel drive ignition systems, no longer there???
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233644 by JOHN.K.
There is a local repairer of the US made bulb and tube temp gauges for jeeps and other WW2 vehicles......all work is guaranteed,and result looks like new......but you dont want to know the price to fix one thats not working/tube twisted/gauge detoriated.......not much change from $1000!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233649 by cobbadog
I know with our David Brown you cannot get the temp gauge to move no matter what you until you drive it. Even with a blind across the radiator it will not lift. Start driving and away it goes not long after going down the street.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233659 by Pierre
PDU, thanks for highlighting & sharing the poem Desiderata,(Max Ehrmann).
I, like Mrsmackpaul have never come across this before & your absolutely right it is a wonderful piece of writing & worth sharing amongst my family .;)
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233693 by asw120
I know it from a recording from the 70's.
I don't know how to do it on the phone, but If you type Les Crane Desiderata into YouTube, it'll come up. Still occasionally played on the oldies stations.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #233706 by PDU
Glad you all like it, and of the various recordings of it I think this one is the best . . . despite the chorus accompaniment :unsure: Kamahl's enunciation is particularly good and heartfelt. ;)

Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233709 by Lang
Great advice but I always thought it was a bit trite and Peter, Paul and Mary. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the background made me want to get out my headband and striped bell-bottom trousers.

Much prefer Rudyard Kipling's "If"

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Zuffen

Time to create page: 0.722 seconds