Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234048 by PDU
Just to make things a bit more acceptable . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234050 by cobbadog
Who stole the dizzy?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234055 by PDU
Nobody has stolen the distributor, what you can see to the left of the fuel pump is the crankcase strainer - a gauze filter tube that filters oil entering the oil pump suction tube. I'll take it out later today and take a picture of it for you cobbadog, and others that might be interested. :unsure:

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #234067 by PDU
I've been promising myself I would clean this since filling the sump with water cobbadog - but by the looks of it this was way overdue.

The gauze had actually been sucked inwards. Returned to correct shape (sort of) and considerably cleaner now. When put back into the sump the lower part fits onto the oil pump inlet tube.

Apologies for the first picture being upside down (not that it makes much difference), new phone and still getting to grips with it!? :blush:
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234075 by PDU
Discovered the speedo was locked up so embarked on an exercise of discovery.

Once stripped down this far . . .

. . . I had to lever the centre part with a screw driver to get it to move, then thorough saturation with carby cleaner and light oil managed a very stiff turn. It was not looking very promising at first, but using a small square drive tool and a drill things improved nicely.

Reassembly was interesting with the speedo working backwards before realising the counter spring had slipped past the stop peg; and despite attempts to rewind the odometer to zero I gave up in frustration!

Final result will hopefully work suitably once in the dash.

PS Yes, I did repaint the inside before assembly. :)
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, asw120, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #234080 by asw120
I have pulled apart many speedos in my time (started when I was a kid). Usually there is a tiny (3/16"?) welsh plug type thing inboard from the thread where the cable screws on. It has a pinhole in it, but I pop the whole thing out and drip diesel into it. There is felt in there. The diesel soaks in overnight and the brass bit at the back can be turned (VERY carefully) with pliers / vise grips after some tapping.
To reset the odometers, I pop the spacer off the shaft (often have to make one good odometer up out of two, or three) and everything can be spun back to zero and reasembled.

In any case, good to see some progress.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234085 by PDU
I started at the back as you did Jarrod, but it was obviously going nowhere fast.

I even considered changing the speedo and instrument cluster gauge for a Triumph 2500 speedo and tachometer, simply because I had some spare - plus they fitted the existing holes in dash and used the same speedo cable fitting. However, if I had done this I would have had to fit separate gauges for oil/water/etc., and it would have needed me to remove the original capillary activated temperature gauge which is worked into the completed part of my main loom!

I tried running the tumblers on the odometer backwards and despite much fiddling trying to re-zero them couldn't quite figure any rhyme or reason to it. Thanks for your interest and comment, but not going to bother with it now; too much other stuff still to do. :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Pierre

More
2 years 1 week ago #234088 by cobbadog
If I could wind it back, I would take it back to 99,900. This gives me a 100 miles to get the bugs wroked out then ready for rego and that would be around all the zero's.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, PDU

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 1 week ago #234091 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234093 by PDU
Miles not time Swishy!

It's dem little numbers on the whirly gig thingo - part of the flux capacitor??? :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.685 seconds