Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 1 week ago #234102 by Mrsmackpaul
You only like Cher because of the battle ship grey paint

She must be getting long in the tooth now, probably has less wrinkles than me though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234106 by cobbadog
I was going to say that she is older than the paint job. Wrinkles are held in place by the seat belt she is wearing

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234115 by wee-allis
Don't you blokes realise that it's a full blown No No to wind back a speedo for ANY reason?
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by wee-allis.

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234116 by asw120
I follow a bloke who posts his instrument restorations on facebook. A talented professional. He puts pretty much everything back to zero. I figure he would have been shut down, if it was the case. I'm vaguely aware you're not supposed to do it on the modern fleet, for obvious (fraud) reasons.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by asw120.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234118 by wee-allis
Had to replace one in a customer's truck several years ago when the original one failed. Replacement was second hand and had to produce photo proof of the replacement and both gauges before it could be passed for next next RTA inspection. Problem arose as replacement unit was lower mileage than original and RTA keep all records when inspection is carried out. Apparently, the file was marked with reference to actual mileage travelled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 years 1 week ago #234120 by cobbadog
Fully understand about winding the odometer back and how unsuspectinmg buyers can be caught. In a case like this is it illegal to wind it forward to almost being 000000? Especially with a Vintage vehicle or one going on Historic plates.
Drover across the road that flooded his 6 month old Freightliner drove his K104 around the clock 3 times during his times in it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234121 by Pierre
Err, bugger all this truck stuff, let’s get back to Cher & the grey battleship! ;) ;)
Just love that video clip! Lol

Cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 week ago #234122 by PDU
While I didn't really want Cher on here (sorry Swishy but I've had that bloody song buzzing through my head best part of the day) and you lot have been mithering about her, or dem little numbers, I have been busy doing other things . . .

First up was connecting the speedo cable to the speedometer and running it up to about 50 mph, the needle was rock solid with no wavering about, top result. :woohoo: Next was fitting it all back where it belongs and modifying my extra bulkhead piece to let the speedo cable pass through it.

Then I moved on to the wiper motor that was not working until Ernie and I had a go at it; tested it and got a wee bit of sound from it so bit the bullet and mounted it in the roof. Damn, it even works too! Noisy, but working. Not sure if I can post the video of it :unsure: so you'll just have to take my word for it. I do need a wiper blade, the small section of rubber tube I have slipped over the end of the arm (so it won't scratch the window) is never going to wipe much off the screen. :lol: However I am hoping to fit an Austin unit with two wiper blades if I can chase one up that I saw about two and a half years ago while fixing the unit on my previous (Austin) truck. Cunning bit of modern thinking having two blades instead of one!? :ohmy:

Not satisfied with that I moved on to the horn(s) but ran foul of the relay (is it really necessary?) and poor earth connections, culminating in a depressing afternoon generally. This was compounded by revisiting my wiring diagram to update some of the extra wires that need to be addressed still. Perhaps I might just go and find some decent music to wipe any thoughts of battleships tonight! :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

More
2 years 1 week ago #234125 by Pierre
Fair enough PDU. Great work on the speedo & some more progress. ;)
That dual wiper blade sounds interesting.
Cheers
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
2 years 1 week ago #234131 by Morris
I have been having lots of trouble writing this message. Five different boxes have come up. I had to delete each one and when I was almost finished it all disappeared, so I will try again:-

PDU Good work with the speedo.

If you cannot find a two piece wiper system, I might be able to help you with a blade for your original. Straight blade with rigid back. Let me know the length and attachment type.

What does "mithering" mean? I suspect it is a dialect word from the part of England you hail from. Is it similar to drooling? There are many words that are used in some areas/countries but not known in others. For example, there is a radio announcer with an Irish? accent here, who comments about the "unfortunate" name of a German composer whose name was "Shite". In my seventy seven years in this part of the world I have heard that word used twice and both by that same announcer.

I still kick my self every time I read your messages, that I did not buy the Austin from you. I dithered about it until it was too late. It would have been about an 8 or 9 hundred kilometre trip to drive it home. I did not (still do not) have anything that would tow it on my trailer.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds