Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234133 by PDU
Mithering was not from the big smoke (London) where I come from, and I had never heard it used until we came to Australia courtesy of some other ten pound poms. It hails generally from oop north a tad, North West England, Manchester way. It is used when talking about people who worry about things unnecessarily - as in fussing about.

The Austin's wipers are closer to the middle than the single Bedford wiper, and operate like a set of wings spreading apart and then back together, etc, etc. Still only single speed, but obviously clearing twice as much windscreen area.

The Bedford blade is generally a short little bugger but can accomodate a much longer blade going by my ruler in the picture below . . .

The Bedford's blade is a simple hook-on arrangement, up into a slot in the arm; no doubt you have seen the type in your travels?
If you do have a blade I would be happy to road test it Morris. :)

It would have to be better than the piece of rubber tube in place at the moment. I don't think I'd see much through one narrow wiped section!? :pinch:
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234137 by cobbadog
Options. Take the wiper arm to your favourite spare parts shop and marry a new blade up to that arm. There are many that seem to hook in like that.
Buy and fit a pair of old Land Rover wiper motors and have independent wipers.
One that would not appeal but works is another spindle with the arm and a rod across from the driven side.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234138 by Gryphon
Hi,

these people are closest to you and have what you need. I didn't notice a size but they are 300mm long.

minisport.com.au/moke-wiper-blade-flat-glass-hook-type

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234143 by asw120
Yes, the horn relay is absolutely necessary. The horn contact will not drive the horn. Horns need plenty of current.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234145 by Morris
PDU I will have a look at my wiper blades tomorrow and let you know what I have.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234176 by PDU
Two klaxons working just fine, but cunningly avoiding the "standard" horns for now. :whistle:

To complete the wiring behind the dash I had to tackle the rather grotty second gauge (fuel,oil, water and lights). Not easy now the temp gauge is connected, capillary tube type, so this had to be done with it hanging through the dash . . .

. . . but once the face was off things moved along bit by bit, despite one attaching screw that decided to turn inside the canister rather than unscrew! Once inside this is all that was left of the ignition and oil lights' coloured pieces.

The drill packaging supplied some new pieces . . .

. . . which I then tried various ways to colour. Originally they were red and orange but I have opted for red and blue as there are a few blue lights in the lower dash section already. An old birthday banner gave me the colours and are now fitted in the gauge . . .

Sidente: I haven't figured out how to download my piccies from the new phone to the computer yet, so I can't turn it as I would normally do. :blush:
But despite this the end result is back in the dash again . . .

Not as nice as Pierre's in my opinion, but good enough for me. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, Zuffen, oliver1950

More
2 years 1 week ago #234177 by cobbadog
Will the paper get hot and burn or not?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234178 by Dave_64
You blokes tooling around with gauges and dash set ups, ever come across a fuel gauge which looks like it either has, OR acts as a ballast resistor?
I replaced all my Lucas gauges with a full dash of VDO gauges and although the Karrier was originally positive earth, I was having a look ar the old setup.
Not going to use it, just hadnt come across it before.
That and in-harness fuses hidden like Easter eggs in the dash wiring, reckon its an el-cheapo cost effective practice??
Dave_64

More
2 years 1 week ago #234182 by wee-allis

Will the paper get hot and burn or not?

Cobba, I don't reckon that either of them should be on long enough to even get warm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Snidely Whiplash

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #234184 by PDU
The plastic Happy Birthday sign was a thin plastic, marginally thinner than the original heat/age distorted items cobbadog. The way each is positioned in the gauge they sit behind the plastic bubble wrap material which acts as a heat shield. NB The bubble wrap material is at least twice the thickness of the original stuff, so I will go with "or not". :)

Considering these lights should only come on momentarily when starting, or if there is a problem, I would say that they should more than suffice. If I am proved incorrect and they happen to ignite inside the gauge there is nowhere for the fire to go - everything else in there is made of metal (excluding the glass face). :blink:
[Obviously wee-allis was thinking likewise as I added the other comments below ;)]

Sacrilege Dave, using VDO gauges in an English vehicle - have you no faith in the Prince of Darkness? I only look inside things when they don't work . . . :silly:

ALSO Morris, I have ordered a new :ohmy: :blink: wiper blade! $13.65 delivered. It appears to be similar to an early Holden type - which is not quite the right hook, but hopefully I can modify it to work. When it arrives I will post the result for other Bedford owners (or other English vehicle owners) that might be interested. If you should find one in your "spares department" please post a picture - I will respond.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Pierre, Snidely Whiplash

Time to create page: 0.626 seconds