Skip to main content

Bedford 214 - Fuel Issues on acceleration

More
3 years 11 months ago #209826 by Lang
This is what makes me think the diaphragm is a universal type. This is from a UK ad for a few Bedfords of that era including yours. Notice they include several different gaskets to cater for various bolt hole positions telling me all the rest of the pump is the same. Not only Bedford but Ford Pilot as well.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209828 by wouldyou
Adding to 180 wannabe's post if you fit an electric pump and have a faulty diaphragm fuel will be forced in to the sump.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Michael S

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209829 by PDU
No problem Michael, just went outside and checked, definitely on an angle as per O type, and different to my replacement J series engine - never knew or noticed that before.

The O type engines seem to have quite a few differences . . . :unsure: Whatever, as I have stated before on line, offer a price you are happy/willing to pay and let me know your address and I'll check to see what postage will be worth. From this point on we can continue discussion via "Private messages" or Channel 40 :huh:

That being said I can't guarantee it, but will check to see how it feels when I pull it off and let you know. Personally I'd opt for an electric pump, bypass the existing pump and tuck it away somewhere out of sight.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Michael S

More
3 years 11 months ago #209830 by mackme
Hi mate I know everyone here is talking about fuel issues however I've had similar problems
Several times on various petrol engines because of a faulty coil. They can run fine initially
but when the coil gets hot they break down and fail only to run fine again once the coil has cooled
down. Maybe it might help. Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Michael S

More
3 years 11 months ago #209834 by Lang
You and Bluey might be right also. Didn't a wise man once say "90% of carburetor problems are electrical"

More
3 years 11 months ago #209837 by cobbadog
5 of fuel problems are ekectrical but when the fuel has dried up and out of the site glass electrics are not the issue.
Im certainly with Lang on your pump. Apart from the bolt hole centres that is a Holden Grey motor pumpfrom FB onwards as it has no vacuum pump below.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209847 by Michael S
Seems there are so many scenarios!
Thinking if I get on top of all I might end up jagging a solution!
In regards a replacement coil. They sound like they might be difficult to find? Or would they be pretty standard ?

More
3 years 11 months ago #209915 by cobbadog
I would guess that the ignition coil would not need to be ballast resistor type and the bog standard old coils for a points n condensor are available. I bought one recently from SCA and can look for the model number tomorrow if you like.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209916 by Sarge
Michael, the thi b g with your beddy is that it is original, an easy option might be to change the geni and coil and light globes and go 12 volt. Increases all you options and the starter won't mind. I must say my O was dead easy to start and run, 42 mph, and not a bit more. But I did go 12 volt mostly to avoid buying a 6 volt battery.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209921 by Michael S
Morning Cobbadog
I thought I would go down the replacement coil path first.
I found a Bosch U6 (See attached photos) the only difference seems to be the original central point threads in, the new just presses.
You think this is a fair match.
Any advice before the Change over.?
Thanks Michael
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds