Skip to main content

Truck and trailer sides

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210308 by Lang
Truck and trailer sides was created by Lang
To entertain myself I have been refreshing my tandem trailer (bought it in 1980). It is the same old trailer, just had 4 new axles, 3 floors, 5 brake systems and it seems about 100 new sets of lights and wiring.

In its last life the sides were 200x3mm steel C purlins that were great for the job. I pulled the rusty ones off, replaced the floor with new checker plate and trotted down to get some new purlins. 3 steel places later the best price was$348 for a 4.2 metre trailer!

Had a flash of brilliance and called into the scaffold hire place. Out the back they had a stack of perfectly straight scaffold decking just with the ends coming away from the spot welds. They come in 2.4 and 1.8m lengths. $10 each, as many as you want. The boss helped me sort through the stack and we quickly got 6 lengths with no concrete or damage.

They are 250X2 but the extra edge fold makes them as strong as the 3mm purlins. Below is how they look on the trailer but they would make great ute or truck sides or lightweight ramps for small vehicles, The galvanizing standard is very high as you would expect for commercial units.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, craig308, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210316 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Truck and trailer sides
Looks great and is very practical and all at a budget price. the Director of Finances would be very proud of your treasure hunting skills.
I hope it doesn't whistle when going along. I say this because when I put a new set of roof racks on the Commodore they whistled badly at a certain speed. Then one time when talking to a spare parts bloke he said that they had resolved the problem by making a new style rubber insert for the top of the rack. It went frome being smooth to having tiny little ribs on it at a slight angle. What was even better the upgrade was free once they sighted the original insert.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 11 months ago #210405 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Truck and trailer sides

Lang wrote: . It is the same old trailer,

Bit like a same old axe that had 4 new handles then a new axe head put on the old handle, still the same old axe. AY

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
3 years 11 months ago #210406 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Truck and trailer sides
As Swishy would say "Zakly"

More
3 years 11 months ago #210407 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Truck and trailer sides
Won't the sand run out of the holes on the way home?

You start with a cubic metre and get home with a shovelful!

Actually I do think it's a great solution.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210409 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Truck and trailer sides
I was actually going to get a Main Roads contract as a water truck. If I filled it with water and drove along it would give the perfect all around spray pattern.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210423 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Truck and trailer sides
Going by the size of the holes, it would need to be pretty runny water to get an even spread.

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds