Skip to main content

Bedford wheel/rim sizes

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210623 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
The WA guy (Adam Basset from Bedford owners of Australia forum) just got back to me a few minutes ago Dave:

160mm and 50mm offset
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210626 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
PDU,
Thanks for the heads up, and thank your mate over the West also.
Centrebore at 160mm is too small, too much machining (5mm).
Offset of 50mm I could probably do something with.
Again, thanks to all for assistance.
Cheers, Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 10 months ago #210788 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Dave, probably of no help to you but whilst checking some old farm trailer bits I own, I noticed that the similar looking 5 stud Morris wheels I have are stamped Dunlop, ts 22392.... Mr Google went into a spin when I tried it. What i was thinking is that someone might have an old dunlop catalogue which might refine your search. But it may be a wishful idea..... and they are 20 inch rims in any case.

Good luck hunting.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 10 months ago #210794 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Kind of off topic but all the wheels on the David Brown also have DUNLOP stamped on them, so I fitted a pair of good secong hand Goodyear rear tyres on them, of course.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210797 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Hi Dave, i just noticed some J1 rims on Gumtree, at Wingfield SA. Type "Bedford truck parts J1 wheels" into Gumtree.
I'm sorry i don't know how to make a direct link thing to it for you.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210810 by Dave_64
180 Wannabe,
Thanks for that, not the right ones, also contacted that bloke from the Bedford Truck Club, ".....doesn't have that information on hand!"
Probably have to end up either getting someone to take a vernier to their own spare (J3, NOT J1, my blue, but could be the same!) or take a trip to the wreckers sometime.
Just would have thought somebody may have had the service manual for the appropriate vehicle, I have a couple of old manuals here, give all the info on wheels/rims, but NOT Bedford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #210812 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Looks like I may have FINALLY found the correct Bedford wheel/rim sizes!
Mob in NZ have a very comprehensive list for replacement 15" one piece tubeless rims (which are NOT what I'm chasing, but they do give the specs!) of the originals. Have shot them an email with all the sizes and awaiting confirmation.
One thing puzzles me, (maybe MAMMOTH can help out here?) and that is they ONLY list the REAR wheel rim size under Bedford J3, NOTE, J3, NOT J1 as I was originally told.
All the specs seem to match up, as I said just awaiting confirmation.
BUT, surely they wouldn't run another dimension rim on the FRONT as compared to the REAR?
Not even the poms are that obtuse, are they?
This has really become a PITA, I know, just when you think you are getting somewhere, someone or something comes along and throws a spanner in the works! AH! The joys of tinkering! Not gonna let this little hiccup beat me!
So, if anyone has a workshop manual for a J3 Bedford which gives the wheel/rim PCD's and full specs, would be great to be able to check them against this blokes in NZ before I race out looking for a J3 rim!
Thanks, Dave_64
P.S. What makes it a bit curly, the "J" series trucks apparently the OFFICIAL designation of them was the "TJ". From J1 up to J6, so you have to make sure you have the CORRECT designation! Seems these (the J3 model) of the TJ Series were reasonabley common.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210813 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
On the front hubs of the Terrier ,there is no ledge on the hub at all ,anything the right stud pattern and size would fit ........I was looking at redrilling the terrier 6 stud rims to fit my old Hyster forklift ,but seeing as the Hyster doesnt look like ever going again ,so far havent bothered..................Im pretty sure there is a Bedford J3 single wheel in the long grass somewhere ,I recall collecting one once for a good tyre .......But ,ATM ,my knees have cracked up in a big way ,and I havent been mobile for two weeks now.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210814 by Dave_64
John.K.
Just re-reading your reply re the Terrier fronts, no "ledge" on the front hubs?
So, one would take it that they would be "stud located" as opposed to "hub located"?
Just so I have this right, the fronts are relying on the taper of the front stud nuts as well as the bevel in the rim itself?
What about at the rear, any "ledge" on the rear hubs? OR do they rely on a taper on the STUD up against the hub itself to locate the rim centrally? So, technically, the actual stud hole in the rim would have to either be bevelled both sides OR the rears would have to be "Hub located"? Surely they wouldn't taper both sides of the stud hole? Rears would nearly have to be sitting on a "ledge: as you put it?
So, the question arises, if that is indeed the case, why would you have the rears mounted one way ("hub centred") and the front mounted as per "Stud mounted"?
Doesn't make much sense to me, unless they were cutting down on tooling costs and perhaps using the same wheel/rim for another model (maybe like the Boxer or something?)

More
3 years 10 months ago #210815 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Bedford wheel/rim sizes
Dave, what a journey! Just to clarify a few things;- The J1 was singles back & front and the rims were unique to themselves, the J3 had duals in the rear so they had the more conventional offset. Around 1970 Bedford thought too may people were getting the hang of their naming system so the TJ series became the C series. Have sold my J1 & J3 so not able to help. The other thing that you need to take into account is "Australian content", meaning that what got assembled in Aus did not always match the English printed books. That was certainly the case for Leyland derivatives and Bedford.
How come no one has mentioned Stephen Hood of Vintage Rims Australia in Kingaroy. He advertises in Restored Cars; 0429 622208

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds