Skip to main content

Dodge AT4 Brake Vacuum System

More
3 years 10 months ago #211120 by Magpiesn5
Hi All,

Was wondering if any one had a schematic or information on the vacuum setup on the Dodge AT4. I have bought a manual but it doesn't have this information.
There is a reservoir / canister mounted on the firewall in the engine bay which has a hose that goes to the booster / vacuum tanks other hoses are disconnected.
I am guessing one should go the the engine or possibly an aux drive vacuum pump to provide the vacuum but not sure what else I am missing.
The engine is a Perkins 6354.
Some photos from under the bonnet may even help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211126 by Blackduck59
Been a long time since I have had anything to do with a Perkins but if memory is correct they had an "exhauster" to provide vacuum.
Mounted on the LH side of the block and driven from below the injection pump. That would have had a hose going to the tanks.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Blackduck59.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magpiesn5

More
3 years 10 months ago #211127 by JOHN.K.
Dont you have the little vacuum pump mounted on the block just behind the injector pump drive ?.......Perk 354 bits used to be dime a dozen ,I had a semi load of old engines .....but I scrapped the lot ,didnt even bother saving any bits (not like me)......There are two different sized mounting pads on the block ,and generally ,a compressor block wont fit a vac pump and vice versa.......however there are bits that go the other way ,but a good deal rarer.......Anyway ,if you have the vac pump ,hook up the tank to it via the little filter on the firewall ......this stops dirt ,grit ,or brake fluid getting in the engine ..........and beware ,brakefluid will wreck the engine ,same as glycol anti freeze.......(dont think synthetic fluid wrecks engines.....but dont know.)

More
3 years 10 months ago #211136 by Magpiesn5
Awesome thanks for the information guys unfortunately I don’t have the exhauster or vac pump at the back of the injector pump. Will try and track one down. One other option I have seen a perkins with a compressor running off the injector pump so maybe fit one and convert to air.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211139 by mammoth
Somewhere else on this forum some one has successfully used an alternator with integral vacuum pump off a Jap truck.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211141 by Magpiesn5
Thanks Mammoth I have just been having a read very interesting. Thanks again.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211146 by cobbadog
Or a remote electric vacuum pump.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211147 by Magpiesn5
Thanks Cobbadog. Just been having a look at them online also. Have you had experience with them at all?

More
3 years 10 months ago #211148 by cobbadog
No experience with them as yet but may doo soon enough. I still ahve not had time to track down my vacuum leak to fix it. There is a valve of some sort between the vacuum pump on the alternator and the vacuum tanks and this may be my problem for loosing vacuum. The other thing I need to consider is that one day I want to install an under dash a/c unit and this should then have a larger output alternator fitted. When I get to that stage I don't know whether to fit a larger truck alternator with a freah pump on it or jsut a larger alternator with no pump and run an electric pump. I ahve not spent much time researching this yet but was something suggetsed a while back to me.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211149 by Magpiesn5
I just seen one that even came with a stainless steel tank which could be a good option as I don’t know if my existing tanks have any leaks and by sorting out the pump I fear I maybe stepping out of the fry pan into the fire. But hey it keeps me out of mischief though.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds