Skip to main content

Time to get finger out!

More
3 years 9 months ago #212068 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Time to get finger out!
Try welding a Ford firewall, after they pressed the shape the metal is THIN. A bit of welding converting from LH to RH drive.
Love the Punch and Flange tool for putting a ridge along the edge for a lap weld, really reduces distortion and buckling plus the extra metal helps reduce a blow through as with a plain butt weld.
Long sleeves and button up to the neck, Mig radiation burns.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212076 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Time to get finger out!

husky wrote: Mrsmackpaul, ,sat yesterday watching every episode of your videos on u tube rebuilding your Mack ,and thoroughly enjoyed every minute ,what a brilliant job you made of it ,well done please put some more footage of you driving it as its not often i get to see classic american stuff here in UK from a drivers perspective ,,cheers Husky

Im glad you enjoyed it, I only started making them so one day whem Im dead and buried my family can sit and have a chuckle at their dumb old Dad

I have a few hours from later exploits but haven't got it all edited yet as micro soft software program no longer works and Im yet to discover a fresh program I can use but a mate gave me a lead on what to try

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: husky

More
3 years 9 months ago #212091 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Time to get finger out!
I watched a video on a small hand held crimping machine that threw an edge on the parent metal or your patch so that it had the overlap and could do spot welds or full runs. If doing a lot of rust work or conversion it would be a big bonus to have.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #212103 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Time to get finger out!
Have you got a "go to" for that clip at all cobbadog? I, and probably others, might like to see it also? Ta . . .

More
3 years 9 months ago #212107 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Time to get finger out!
Yeah, me too! Thanx

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212108 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Time to get finger out!
As I said, punch and flange tool. Google it as there are many clips.
With one of these you have the option of just punching holes in one panel and spot welding through that hole instead of fully welding the seam. Then you can lead wipe the seam. Panel lead is available, used it on lower door patches when rebuilding the F350.
Think I spent around $90 for the tool.

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Blackduck59.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 9 months ago #212110 by Dave_64
Yep! Thanks Steve, had a look, definitely worth further investigation

More
3 years 9 months ago #212117 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Time to get finger out!
I think that Haire n Forbes had them for sale. I fairly certainly that I saw them as an advertisement on an Ozzy car show that was on late at night and I used to record it and watch while I was awake.
Also try FleaBay as supplier of them. I guess it would be called a crimping tool maybe. Sorry I didn't take more notice now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212119 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Time to get finger out!
Try this link.

www.google.com/search?q=joggle+tool&oq=j...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have one and very handy but you need a decent compressor.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Zuffen.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212120 by Dave_64
Watched a couple of clips on this today, reckon even a buffoon like me could learn how to operate one of them!
I have two cab doors require re-skinning from about two thirds of the way down, to the bottom. Already blew a few holes in one of them, thinking with that flange and punch set I could learn how to "spot" weld a lower skin on. After all, can only stuff it up!
Just on that lead wiping, had a old bloke do that under the windscreen level in a 351 Pete, did a magic job (until I got at it and filled it full of bog) and only cost me a dozen long necks.
Wish I had been both more attentive and less impatient. Chances are that his lead wiping is still in place whilst my bog repair fell out on the roadside many years ago! Something I wouldn't mind having a go at.

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds