Skip to main content

Time to get finger out!

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #212122 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Time to get finger out!
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere are two more options much more useful and flexible than joggle panels.

If you want a joggle joint you can make it by spot welding a strip around the edge of either the parent body or the patch.

The most flexible is the stitch welder to get into tight places and curved panels.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212126 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Time to get finger out!
They look interesting.

Big question is do they work as advertised?

I'm always sceptical of something that sounds too good.

Do you know anyone who has used one of either.

If I was certain they worked I'd all over them.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212129 by Lang
I don't think they are anything new. Portable units like these have been around in one form or another for 50 years. The only difference is that these are for the home workshop. I have just ordered a stitch welder so will see how it goes. Like all this stuff I have no doubt it will require practice to produce nice work.

lang

More
3 years 8 months ago #212133 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Time to get finger out!
The "stitch welder" requires an AC unit to drive it. Not described but I suspect most arc welders are DC. Will be interesting to hear your experience Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 8 months ago #212135 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Time to get finger out!
What I saw was hand held jogger like in some of those ads further back in the thread. It was a simple thing and if you are only using body steel one with long handles would work a treat to throw the offset. When I saw the demonstration like evrything they made it look so easy but in real life may need practise. I do like the idea as it strengthens the metal and minimises panel distortion the biggest issyue when welding flat panels so would be a good thing for doing half skins on doors. When doing the skins you should have the edge at right angles to the flat panel ready for turning or throwing it over. I would tack the joint in a couple of places to stop the skin moving up or down as the edge is thrown. You also need a good metal dolly to hold against the panel as you dress the edge over, then do the weld across the joint and only do tacks or very very short runs to keep the heat out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Lang

More
3 years 8 months ago #212140 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Time to get finger out!

mammoth wrote: The "stitch welder" requires an AC unit to drive it. Not described but I suspect most arc welders are DC. Will be interesting to hear your experience Lang.

Almost all older style stick welders are AC unless you get a Lincoln bullet welder
Modern suitcase jobs are DC but most have a switch to make them AC

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #212141 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Time to get finger out!
learning something all the time. Thanks Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago #212159 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Time to get finger out!
What about the little 'battery charger' style welders, inverters? Are they still a/c or d/c? I know the inverter stick welder I have sure puts out some grunt when cranked up.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212163 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Time to get finger out!
Cobba, those little "battery charger " inverter welders are just that. They "invert" AC to DC, which gives you an easy strike, smooth weld. They work opposite to the inverter in a "solar" system, which convert the DC from the panels to AC for the house or grid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago #212164 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you want a top "pocket" welder these are great. I carry one in my OKA camper and twice in the last 9 months it has saved somebody. Once when a bloke broke his caravan tow bar which I fixed and another when a Landcruiser ute chassis cracked right through which the fitter owner fixed with my welder, both in remote area beside the road.

The caravan job was done using my 12v/240v 2,800 watt inverter and the Landcruiser bloke had a generator in the back. Duty cycle is long and it did not have to rest on either job.

If you look you can get them for $60. They would be good enough to say build a box trailer in your shed. Don't know how long they would last but so far so good.

I do have a Rossi inverter welder not too much bigger that has done hundreds of hours building trailers, sheds, truck bodies. For fancy jobs requiring skills better than mine I have a captive welder with his own million dollar machines but he has always just used the little inverter on my jobs. The Rossi 200 amp shoebox is about $140 but very high quality.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds