Skip to main content

Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon

More
3 years 9 months ago #212345 by Jindera
Hi and thanks for letting me join. I am restoring a 1958 ex RAAF Power wagon. Its official designation was TER (Truck Early Rescue).
Overall its it pretty reasonable shape but is missing the purpose build rear body. I do have a very rusty one thanks to the previous owner, but it will only be good for patterns, brackets etc...but its a start.

I know there is a restored one in the RAAF museum at Point Cook but have been told that it is no longer on display. With the help of some ex RAAF people I hope to get access to this at some time in the near future.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone has or had one, or knows where there is another. I have been told that a member (Lang) from QLD had one at some point.

So far, from a map still attached to the drivers door and some help from ex RAAF guys, it has been determined that it was last based at Willianstown RAAF Base.

As it is a pretty unique rear body, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has information about the vehicle.

I dont have any pics on the web at the moment but if you go to 'THE R.A.A.F FIRE SERVICE - Georama website you will see what it should look like and right down at the bottom of their page are a couple of pics of mine.

Regards Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212347 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon
Bruce

I have had a couple of Power Wagons over the years but most of my interest is on the WW2 Weapon Carrier ancestors. While 75% of the mechanical and much of the body are the same there are not as many Power wagons around.

The Snowy Scheme had lots of them and of course the Air Force. Quite a number of oil exploration companies had them as well as Transfield on their power line construction. There were about 20 Israeli military Power Wagons brought in around 25 years ago and they are still floating around. Although they have open cabs any 1938-47 Dodge truck cab will fit right on to make them standard Power Wagons a number have been converted like this.

Most Power Wagons are really slow with low ratio diffs and I think this includes the RAAF ones which were after fast acceleration across an airfield rather than highway speed. You can get higher ratio crown wheel and pinion from civilian Dodges of the 50's. I have just put a high ratio diff in my 1941 Dodge Weapon Carrier.

Vintage Power Wagons in USA are great people to deal with and have just about everything. Download their huge on-line catalogue. Steve is always happy to talk and give recommendations and advice on the phone. What these people do not know about the 4x4 Dodge family is not worth knowing.

PS We need some photos and where you are based in case someone near can help.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212348 by Jindera
Replied by Jindera on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon
Thanks Lang. I have a couple of Weapons Carriers and a Simon Allen built WC57 so am well aware of how sloooow they are on the road. My initial plan when looking for a PW was to do a drive line swap, but after getting this one I think there is too much history in it so will keep it as original as possible. Having said that, a diff ratio change could be on the cards.

Did you ever own one of these models, or come across one somewhere?

Bruce

More
3 years 9 months ago #212351 by Lang
No both my Power Wagons were ex\Snowy Mountains vehicles. Being in Army Aviation I did see these RAAF wagons regularly. I was well into military vehicle collecting during that time and remember the RAAF vehicles were immaculate (fireys have lots of time to keep their vehicles polished)

Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago #212352 by Mrsmackpaul
Lang is the Power WagonStation Wagon in your avatar (think that's what it's called) a Power Wagon or some other thing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago #212353 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon
The Point Cook Beast
could/would/should
look like this

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212354 by Lang
Swishy

That is the one being talked about.

Paul

The one in my name is a WC53 Carryall which is the father of the Power Wagon

Here is the whole family.

www.vintagepowerwagons.com/vehicle-identification

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212355 by Jindera
Replied by Jindera on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon
Spot on Swishy, where did you come across that photo?

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 9 months ago #212356 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon
.Spotted this about 6 years ago in Glenmorgan Q.

cont..........

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 9 months ago #212357 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Ex RAAF Dodge Power wagon

At Montys Garage .......

Plus a stack of odds and ends you wouldnt believe..............
but wouldnt know if its still all there............
................Billy.................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Jindera

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds