Skip to main content

Austin 560F truck- paddock find!

More
3 years 6 months ago #214659 by overnite
How about this one, taken at Westmead NSW when I was a young lad on my pushbike, and used to look for trucks to photograph.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214664 by MSO
Bluey60, I will look today for some serial numbers. I think the coil is non genuine, fingers crossed. I will pull out the oil filter, which looks huge and made of glass,.probably take out the seats. I have never had anything bigger than a commodore station wagon. So this is a bit of a challenge, exciting to say the least

More
3 years 6 months ago #214665 by MSO
Overbite, very nice picture. I wonder what year that is? Cheers

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #214667 by Lang
Overnite

Good photo. I seem to recall the "New Australians" ie European immigrants cornered the market on the car carriers in those days. Most of their trucks were the cheapest you could buy which I think the Austin/Morris range would qualify. They loved those old round 1950's Commers for this job.

The trailer in your photo does not look too bad but we can all recall transporters built of scaffold pipe and just water pipe. Particularly the car racks over the cabs which were built by their amateur welder mates where the trailers were probably built by someone who had half a clue. Still, they did not seem to lose cars.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

More
3 years 6 months ago #214668 by Bluey60
MSO the engine number is on the drivers side there is a flat machined spot on the block along the top where the head sits behind the distributor
Chassis number is on the passenger side chassis rail in front of the front axle from memory on the side facing out

Cheers Bluey

More
3 years 6 months ago #214669 by MSO
Overnite, yes I can remember dodgy trailers and transporters. How times have changed mate
Cheers

More
3 years 6 months ago #214670 by MSO
thanks bluey60 . Ii will check them today

More
3 years 6 months ago #214673 by JOHN.K.
Some of the big names in transport had car carriers using scaffolding tubes and clamps....meant you could do cars ,caravans,boats ,or all pulled down ,general cargo.......like to see the million dollar trailers do that now.......Too much capital tied up in specialized equipment .............Anyway ,the heaviest Austin/BMC trucks were heavy built quality ,with either BMC diesels ,Perkins diesels ,or the last of the BMC s had a 185 Cummins .....5speed Eaton boxes ,#3or#4 Eaton diffs ,heavy tailshafts,heavy springs ,decent Girling hydraulic brakes /air boosted.........Streets ahead of any Inter or Dodge ,where even the 180s were light duty trucks .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
3 years 6 months ago #214674 by MSO
Cheers JOHN.K. Heaps of information and food for thought

More
3 years 6 months ago #214677 by overnite

MSO wrote: Overbite, very nice picture. I wonder what year that is? Cheers

Assuming that I was around 15 years old at the time it would be about 1963.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds