Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 6 months ago #215692 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers JOHN.K and asw120, that pretty much clears up my rim options, unfortunately ending in disappointment, that’s life. They are 16’s and the spare I have is for the front which I have been told is good as they are harder to find in that offset. I’ll ring around to see if/what custom options are available but will just use what I have for the interim and throw some cheap new tires/good quality used on them.

Cobbadog, depending on price, I will replace the 3 which are bent for sure. I plan to go V8 so not wanting to spend anymore money on this motor than I need to but who knows, I might enjoy it. I’ll ring around on Monday to see if any where near by has some on the shelf.

I found this little unit in my researching which makes the current rims more interesting and I like the look so it gives me something to explore.

Cheers, Urchy

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215694 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
My 350 had the dangerous centre lock Ford rims ,and so I put all IH wheels on it,and yours may have had them too......I doubt youd find a centrelock rim anywhere now,and dunno why you would want to.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215706 by Urchy87
JOHN.K by center lock I assume that’s something different to split rims which these are. Tried looking up center lock rims but couldn’t find much. Is it where the hub section clamped the outer rim?

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215707 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
John

I think the term centre lock these days refers to race or sporty car wheels with just one threaded cap in the middle to hold the wheel on. Sort of the modern version of the "knock-on" wire wheel rims used by Jaguar etc back in the day.

Are you referring to the 3 piece rims that have a ring that jams in a groove under the detachable outer?

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215708 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
The Ford wheels were two equal pieces /half rims,and held together along the centreline by a series of little catches.......worked when brand new,but a bit of damage from changing tyres and they wouldnt hold together.........There a many different kinds of side lock ring wheels,some have one piece lockrings ,two piece or even three piece...Ive got a pommy 11.00x20 bus wheel in the yard with lockrings on BOTH sides......I havent seen a Ford centrelock wheel in many years.....dont recall, but they may have been 17" too......There is a set of IH AB 130 wheels in back paddock ,kids set fire to the back end ,and burnt wheels dont last long in the weather.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
3 years 5 months ago #215712 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Lock ring both sides means you could change a tyre on outside of duals without taking the wheel off (in theory). Can't think of any other reason and never seen one. Interesting

More
3 years 5 months ago #215718 by Urchy87
Cheers for passing that info on JOHN.K. They sound like a pretty unreliable design.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215747 by Urchy87
Had some time over the past couple days to do a little here and there. Have pulled all of the wheel cylinders out, all have stuck pistons and will need rebuilds, I wasn’t surprised.

Now have the lifters out as a couple weren’t building pressure. I will have a go at pulling them down and rebuilding. Do they need to go back to the same spot they came out of? I marked them regardless. Lots of mixed messages some say yes, some say no, what’s your thoughts? Replacement pushrods have been ordered for the ones that were bent so fingers crossed it will be smooth sailing with a bit of tuning on the engine front once they go in and the lifters have been cleaned up.

Managed to get the cap off the brake master cylinder. Took some budging so had to bring out the big toys.

Drained 9L of old fuel from the tank then run 500mL or so of fresh fuel after it to flush the line a bit. There was no rust or strange sediments coming out of the tank which was a win. The old fuel was certainly cactus.

Started removing the steering box as it has a bit of play in the output shaft so want to cast my peepers over it. The only way I can see to do it is to pull the steering column out with it, so that’s what I’ve started doing. Am I going about it right or should it come out on it’s own?

Cheers

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215771 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
At least you are making good progress. As for the lifters going back to where they came from, I don't know to be honest, but I have done it that way in the past and never hurt anything by doing so. Might be just a 'feel good thing' or might be a very good reason to do so.
I like the stillsons you use, just big enough. Good news on the fuel system too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215775 by Southbound
I was told that people lay pushrods in order so that the tappets don't need adjusting. I never do that as the clearances always need to be reset. One thing I always do is roll the pushrods to see if any are bent.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds