Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
3 years 5 months ago #215173 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers Morris,

Didn’t get time to look at the brakes today after a late start due to visitors and needing to head out for the afternoon. Dragged it over to a cement slab to make it easier to work on instead of having to roll in the dirt and pulled the valve cover off. Nothing too sinister at first glance but that doesn’t mean much. Hand cracked the engine briefly but had to get going so couldn’t focus too much on what the valves were doing but could here valves exhausting, I’ll try to look more into that in the coming days.

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215181 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Isn't it frustrating how our everyday mundane pursuits get in the way of the really important stuff!?

Check the tappet clearances all have at least something . . . :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215188 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
They look like hydraulic lifters and no tappet clearance just tighten the nut until the noise stops, but you need good oil pressure to do that.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215267 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
PDU, life certainly has its way of preventing you from getting things done. Did get a chance for a bit today though.

I have stopped with the motor at this point until I get a full day where it can be the focus instead of an hour here and there. I’ll take the side cover off, check the lifters and cast my eyes over whatever else I can see in there.

Looked into the brakes a bit today. Master cylinder is building compression but I can’t get the top off to clean it out or add fluid. Any idea on how it comes off? The bolt on top just spins (picture below). The rubber seal was perished. Would the piece under the bolt have a thread?

Both front wheel cylinders will need an overhaul but the pads seem pretty good (finally a win). Started on the back but got called away before getting too far into it. It’s also now on stands where it will be until it’s complete. Won’t be able to do much for a couple weeks now unless I can sneak some in after work.

Adventure before Dementia.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215268 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Urchy
gudday m8
RE: I can’t get the top off to clean
Cover all the orifices and pour hot water ovr the lid ... then undo

anybody do n brakes is a good idea to take pix of the L n R sides ... and if confusing only pull apart one side @ a time

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215269 by wee-allis
I'm thinking that the original HEX on the alloy cap has long gone and someone has drilled the top and added the bolt.

As the Swish man says, pour boiling water over the whole thing and then try to undo the cap with multi grips on the side. A new cap is warranted.
Just my hit.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215270 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Nuther thort
if eye'm alowd
tip master cylinder upside down n place the round circular lid in u're good vice th@ aint got mangled jaws ... a firn grip in vice n undo
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215271 by Blackduck59
A little bit of light hammering around the top may help as well. Hammer straight down around the edge. That cap is threaded in.
Cheers Steve.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215272 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Possibly wee-allis :unsure: (you responded while I went outside to take a photo of my spare master cylinder top) but I agree about grips, or pipe wrench even - it should come off??? :S

Meanwhile I must add Urchy that you appear to have more faith in your axle stands than I do; but then I'm a silly old bugger who doesn't take chances anymore. Better safe than laying under the truck looking like ninety kilos of raw mince meat. :oops:
Attachments:

More
3 years 5 months ago #215276 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Not knowing much about F trucks, or anything else if you ask my Wife.

Is the master cylinder a single or dual circuit?

If single try and fit a dual circuit for safety sake.

If you have to re-build the old on a new one won't cost any more but will be heaps better. Plus it saves getting the lid off.

Time to create page: 1.026 seconds