Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
2 years 8 months ago #223121 by wee-allis

Thanks all. I am enjoying it which is the main thing. But doing this makes me appreciate just how much work goes into a full resto at home on your own. All the power to you lot that are doing or have done it in the past. I’m not sure I’d have the dedication for a couple year long project at the moment.

Not sure you could do a couple of years project. Mate you are doing wonders........ this started in October 2020, and for mine you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work and in a couple of years, you'll be surprised how much you have enjoyed putting the time and effort into it.

Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Urchy87

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223159 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Cheers wee-allis. Am certainly enjoying the process and learning which comes with the project. Glad I started out this way with something like this.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223915 by Urchy87
Hey. Latest update, it’s minimal but it’s something.

I have had an order of gear arrive. Hooray. For once I’m collecting parcels from the post office for myself instead of my partner. Haha. It won’t be the last order I do but it’s some stuff to keep it kicking along, there isn’t much left to get.

The only progress is I replaced the pinion seal. It came out with no fuss (picture below). I used a smallish pair of multi grips which the shape allowed me to ‘cam over’ and apply pressure to the tip. It worked an absolute treat. The drive shaft yoke could probably have done with a speedy sleeve but decided it’s only a 20 minute job if I need to do it later down the track.

Next question so I can start sourcing things. What have you guys used to repair cracks in steering wheels? Some sort of resin I think would be the best go but tedious. Let me know what products are best. I have watched a couple YouTube videos on it but have not been able to find the products they used over here in the land of Aus. I’m wondering if ‘Plasti Dip’ could even work.

Thanks

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 8 months ago #223919 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
A lot of people have used the epoxy sausage that you knead to get it mixed, usually coloured black & grey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Urchy87

More
2 years 7 months ago #223925 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I used a Selleys product called U-Need-It. Small cylinder with a sausage inside and cut off what you require and mix it together until it is all one colour, in my case it was black. Bought it from Bunnings and not expensive.
Preparation wassss simple. Out with the engle grinder and grooved out any cracks and cleaned up any areas that wanted filler around the spokes of the steering wheel with some coarse sand paper to give the filler something to grip to. It sets fairly quickly, about 10 minujtes but I left it over night. Sands off easily and then I used black gloss epoxy paint in a pressure pack can and it comes up like new. When it is time to paint I stuck a lump of 1/2" round rod in the vice pointing just above horizontal, shook the guts out of the can and started spraying. I could actually spin the wheel on the rod to get a nice even top coat. Paint is still looking good on both repairs and no indication of cracki9ng comming back.
I have done this twice now, once on the David Brown and then on the Roughrider dump truck steering wheel.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Urchy87, PaulFH, Southbound

More
2 years 7 months ago #223939 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I did mine similar to Cobba. I grooved mine out using a dremel. Bought some cheap 2 pack epoxy on ebay (think it was from Taiwan). Left it a day and sanded it back. I then used a thin coat of bog to finish. Painted it in 2 pack primer and then blocked it and then in two pack black. Came out better than new.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Dave_64, Urchy87, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 7 months ago #223941 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Q:?
R cracks in the steerin wheel a roadworthy item
2 of our KWz have had cracks in the ivory colored plastic steerin wheel for many years
shouldn't KW do a call back n fit new S Wheels as all did crack

thanx in advance

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 7 months ago #223942 by Urchy87
Oilman, thanks for the pictures, they are always great. Seems to be the general method on YouTube. I’ll look for nothing brand specific as such but what reads like it will do the job. I’m still curious about Plasti Dip. Might give it a crack for the colour/paint but do the repairs as you guys mentioned. Thanks.

More
2 years 7 months ago #223949 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Those pics bring back memories of doing mine only your finish is a bit better than how mine turned out. Very nice finish on your steering wheel Oilman.
There are a couple of places that can refurbish steering wheels and re-do the pearl finish as well but sit down when they talk $$$$. My late Brother in-law was half way restoring an LH SLR Torana when he passed away. So the project was continued and is still an ongoing one but I sent the steering wheel down to Victoria to be refurbished. I rang the owner and quizzed him on the process and what the finish will be like when returned as this needed to be as good as brand new to be at the level of the restoration. After our long talk I sent it down to him with no pressure on time to be returned. About 5 weeks later I had a parcel to pick up and it was the steering wheel. I took it home and got a rude shock as to the finish on the steering wheel, it was bloody terrible. I rang the guy again and told him that the level of finish on the steering sent back to me was about the same as if I simply sprayed painted the wheel.
The textured finish which had worn away after years of use was not replaced as it was suppose to be. So he said return it and he will fix it, he did but not really back to how you see the finish online on his site. Also glad I did not pay for it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224053 by Urchy87
That’s annoying cobbadog. I have looked into the pricing previously and almost fell off my chair. Thankfully I’m not after a perfect finish so I’ll have at it myself. It’s all a part of my learning journey so I’m keen to give it a go. It’s in pretty rubbish condition so as long as its tidy enough to get through a roadworthy I’ll be happy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds