Skip to main content

1965 F250’s Rejuvenation

More
2 years 4 months ago #227844 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Warren and Brown used to make a series of long align reamers for kingpins.......you can also get pilots for the Sutton Microset reamers that work well.........kingpins should be tight ,but not press fit ,or they are half worn out before you turn a wheel.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227858 by Mrsmackpaul
Yes they will most likely need reaming

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 4 months ago #227860 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Had a truck place install a set in a Dodge 200 many years ago. Ex PMG with 300 (?) front axle (had to get bigger king pins than usual 200). Had to be reamed to get the pins in at all. Bloke reamed them so the stub axles were still tight, but could be moved with some effort (forget how much). It would not go in a straight line at first (he said it would be like that), but after about 100 K's they bedded in. Outlasted the truck.
You will not regret getting them done properly.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 4 months ago #227864 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Thanks everyone. Sound advice once again.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227889 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
I would argue that if they don't swivel freely there is no room for lubrication and hence they will wear with scoring and likely out of shape as well. If they come good after 100k's I would question the quality of the reamed alignment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #227891 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
There is plenty of lube space because the bushes are ball indented all over the bearing surface.,and generally have grease grooves cut into them as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

More
2 years 4 months ago #227893 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
It's a long time ago, but I vaguely recall the bushes were steel - backed with diamond (?) shaped impressions on the bearing surface - plenty of room for grease. The truck drove beautifully after the initial bedding in period and, as I said, the king pins eventually outlasted the truck. They were still perfect after many thousands of K's.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 4 months ago #227895 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
When I was working for the green cockroaches we were trialling the spiral type, no ream king pins, they were easy to fit but didn't see more than 100000k's before they had significant wear in K200s. The press in type with the plastic coating seem to last a lot longer and usually don't need reaming, just minor clean up.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227900 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
Not having done king pins for many, many years (Kirkstall front axle in a plastic cab Atkinson), if I recall correctly, new king pins with some green coloured poly bushings, cant recall having to ream them.

My question would be, would it be worthwhile having king pins either reconditioned or made up ( turned down out of steel stock) and bushes to suit made up?
Reckon I can find the original specs for the front end.
Don't know if I would have a go at them myself, but have a spare front axle I could strip down, chuck on the box trailer and take them in to someone in the central Victorian area, if I can find them.
Dave _64

More
2 years 4 months ago #227901 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1965 F250’s Rejuvenation
You would have to machine the steel stock down and finish it off using a linisher to get the finish. Bushes would be easy to make but ''knowing'' the exact amount to machine out to allow for the internal compression of the bush so it did not need reaming would be a wild guess and if wrong you get to start again. I would buy and fit the kit and have them reamed to the corect tollerances.
I have only ever seen one set done on a car and once fitted and lubed you could just move the stub axle by hand. It was hard to start to move but once moving moved easily. It must be a fine line between right and wrong.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds