Skip to main content

1957 Ford F600 Engine/Driveline conversion options.

More
3 years 4 months ago #217043 by Stevied_007
Hi,

I've got a 1957 Ford F600 that I would like to restore into a somewhat more usable truck for modern roads. I would only be looking at irregular use, but don't want to be holding up traffic every time I want to use it. I'd mostly be using it as a flatbed to haul cars around.
So I'm looking for diesel conversion options, like 6bt or 4bt Cummins, which are popular in the US of course but a lot harder and more expensive to get a hold of over here.
Any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #217049 by Mrsmackpaul
A turbo 6354 Perkins, plenty about and the turbo ones run clean and are cheap to run and rev pretty hard for a diesel

Or a Phaser Perkins, not as many about, they are a very modern motor compared to the 6354

The 6BT were in some Case IH tractors and I think headers as well
They are still quite pricey though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 months ago #217065 by Lang
Instead of messing around with clunky truck engines then trying to match gearboxes what about a complete lift out engine gearbox unit from a Landcruiser or Patrol. Nice smooth motor with supersmooth overdrive box in a perfectly matched unit. You could even leave the transfer case on the back unused or get the same unit 2wd from a Dyna/Coaster etc.

I bet a lot cheaper than a Cummins or even a Perkins conversion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 4 months ago #217080 by hayseed
Steve Whats' in It now, Y block or a 6 ??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 4 months ago #217129 by JOHN.K.
The old 1957 Ford F750 4x4 wreck in my backyard had a new Y block and new Clark box in it when I bought it......I sold the motor and box to someone to put in a F600.....the guy had one of those big offshore race boats like Stefan had.,and used to tow it all around the east coast with the truck.

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds