Skip to main content

Tri spring sets

More
3 years 2 months ago #218595 by cro
Tri spring sets was created by cro
Have been on & off & then off but you know ongoing project. Now back on.
Now finely sand blasted rear end & will be painting etc soon but sitting back with a beverage looking at the axle i have completed noticed the springs are different & then looking at the other axles noticed that I dont know which axle i have done up front or rear. I know its not the middle one.
Do the different spring ends being flat, half moon or 3/4 moon mean anything as I would have thought the track rods? would position the axles.

Ill think of something shortly
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218596 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Tri spring sets
the turn downs might be needed to prevent the ends dropping out of the rockers.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218597 by cro
Replied by cro on topic Tri spring sets
Yes of course
Cro

Ill think of something shortly

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #218600 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Tri spring sets
If u're defnotley sure those spring paks R from th@ axle eye'd B in clined to put the spring with the extra leave on the low side of the road to level the trailer up on a canbered road.
Each axle has a fixed track rod & a adjustable track rod to get it run n straight and parrallel with the nex axle
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 2 months ago #218601 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Tri spring sets
Nice old Freighter trailer, does it still have the adjustable tri, be aware that there is a early version and a late version of the 10 bolt hubs the early version is more rounded in the castings, drums are still made for them a little expensive but you don't replace them very often.
I have not seen turned down springs ends on a stock freighter trailer, but if does not still have the slider then that does not mean much as there has been a bit of fiddling going on, and there is a good chance it started out as a adjustable boggie, if that's the case then it would have been a early conversion as most of the later conversions ended up with the one early model axle, what's the year model my guess is mid 70"s

More
3 years 2 months ago #218603 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Tri spring sets
Yep I can see the line of holes for adjusting location of the suspension mounts. Same as mine, TRAILMOBILE. For what we do might as well convert it back to bogie. With the front axle well forward on the (relatively) short trailer there will be a fair bit of tyre scrubbing. While you have it apart check the rubbers. The old style cast iron 'cotton reel' spacers seize onto the bolts and can take a lot to get out. Modern replacement is to use opposing rubber bushes.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218606 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Tri spring sets
Those Freighter mark5 Axles go back a Looong Time. I've got an Old Freighter Strap trailer from the 60's here with the Same Axles.. though I did put a later model Suspension under it as parts for the original were scarce & expensive..

Cro, Put up a pic (or 2) of your Suspension, I may have some Rockerbox & Trackrod Bushs you can have..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218610 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic Tri spring sets

hayseed wrote: Those Freighter mark5 Axles go back a Looong Time. I've got an Old Freighter Strap trailer from the 60's here with the Same Axles.. though I did put a later model Suspension under it as parts for the original were scarce & expensive..

Cro, Put up a pic (or 2) of your Suspension, I may have some Rockerbox & Trackrod Bushs you can have..

I have one with the hydraulic balance adjustable spread, is that what was in yours and do you still have the parts, most of the parts are the the same as the high impact shock set up that's in some 80's and early 90's Freighter Low Loaders, the local hydraulic shop had all the parts as there were at the time a couple of those Freighter low loaders in our area, I had to turn and mill a few bits and bobs but most bits I got though Bathurst Truck and Tractor. That trailer is not ex one of those, the holes are plated to the out side of the lower flange, so it would of had slider springs. I have a laugh when I talk to old blokes that had the hydraulic adjustable trailers, the blokes that had a bit of a idear and did a bit of greasing and run grease in the hydraulics, say they were the best riding and best handling trailer ever made, the bit more lets say, not so switched on say the are the worst, I have had 2 rows 2 high of silage on mine a few time and it is pretty impresive
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 77louie400.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218613 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Tri spring sets
A lot of trailers had thinner springs but more of them when new

If you needed to replace more than one leaf in those older spring packs you need to replace the whole spring pack as the thinner leafs were no longer available

A new spring pack (20 years old or newer at a guess) has thicker leafs in it
It still makes up to around the same height in total height or there abouts and has fewer leafs

I feel it doesn't really make a lot of difference as on a multi axle trailer the rocker boxes make up in differences

Dunno if this what you are asking or not

Also as far as axle order I have noticed on my McGrath trailers the front axle has a spacer between the axle and springs, I cant remember on my old Fruehauf trailers if they were like this

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #218618 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Tri spring sets
Mrs
M80
Th@ axle packer U talk about could B directly related to the K/Pin height
a perfict height is wen the rocker boxes pivot point R all exactly the same height
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds