Skip to main content

What's my box? 1962 at4 329 slant 6

More
2 years 9 months ago #223436 by Boggy
I am trying to identify the gearbox in my 1962 at4 329 slant 6. Where do I look for numbers? The rear seal is pouring out oil but I need to find out what box I have before I order the seal. I have 2 crushed discs in my back that are making it bloody hard to get underneath. The cousin that I have been getting to do my "ground work" is avoiding me ATM so I guess I will have to get under there myself lol.

Yes. It appears to be broken.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223439 by JOHN.K.
Which rear seal...engine or gearbox?.....the box wll be a New Process 4 sp ,and there are two diffenet kinds in Dodges .....one with a long rear extension like a car,and one thats just flat across the back,with a couple of bearing housings.......IMHO,its unlikely a gearbox will leak at the shaft seal,unless its overfilled to the top,or sometimes they get full of water ,that floats the oil out.(from pressure cleaning).
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 9 months ago #223443 by cobbadog
Get a hold of a pair of ramps and back it up the ramps. This runs the oil away from the rear seal and then spray with carby clean around the seal and have a look for the number on the sea. If not found then drop the tailshaft and pull the seal out and put it on the bench at a bearing shop, he will match it in minutes. Look closely at the spigot/yoke where it goes into the gearbox to make sure it is smooth and no grooves or ridges. Once that is good then put it back together. IF the surface for the seal is damaged then buy a speedi-sleeve to fix that.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian, oliver1950, Boggy

More
2 years 9 months ago #223445 by V8Ian
Thanks Cobba, saved me a bit of typing.
I also agree with John, if oil is leaking from the rear seal, the box is overfull.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223446 by JOHN.K.
I think its the engine rear seal he s got a problem with.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223454 by Dave_64
Tt'As John K said, it will be the New Process, early ones around your era could be the NP420 which had synchro on 3rd thand 4th only, if it is the later and much more common, will be the NP435 which had synchro on 2nd 3rd and 4th. Both had very similar ratios, 1st being non synchro in both are are around the 6.68:1 ratio. Dave

More
2 years 9 months ago #223462 by cobbadog
Hopefully it will be disclosed, gearox or rear engine oil seal.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 9 months ago #223467 by Swishy
Wots rong with compare n the color of the oil
Engine oil will B near on black
CogBox oil could B dark brown

WotSezU?
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 9 months ago #223472 by wee-allis
Just asking, but if it was the engine rear main seal leaking, what difference does the type of box make? "Please explain". Sorry Pauline.

Steve.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #223511 by Boggy
I wanted to know what type of box it was so that I could order the right seal for the box

Yes. It appears to be broken.
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Boggy.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds