Skip to main content

Bedford restoration with Chassis extension.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #224102 by Bitsa
What do you blokes think of the angle that I have cut the chassis to add about 950mm to its length
I am using a Qualified Boyly t do the welding as my eyes are crap now. It will have a full length subframe directly above it for a Hiab and then a 160mm tray chassis on top of that, I thought it would be sufficient to carry it’s rated load, about 6 T
What say you ?

gotta click insert to put ya pics on the page?........

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224105 by Mrsmackpaul
Well a bloke that used to be on here all the time Bigcam does this for a living everyday day in day out, that's pretty much his business

Anyway he has done more of these than most of the people we can think of combined

He says cut straight thru at right angles, prep right, weld right and plate it and will be stronger than new

The theory is the shorter the cut the less chance of the heat affecting the steel

So I know this bloke personally and know what he does and the amount done and would have zero hesitation in his word been fact

So the answer to your question is, no the angle is wrong, sorry not been smart, just giving a honest answer

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 8 months ago #224110 by hayseed
The last couple of Trucks I've had Stretched they used straight Cuts, Like Paul has explained..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 8 months ago #224120 by mammoth
There is a "Vehicles Standard Sheet" issued by govment covering best practice on this subject.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224140 by Bitsa
G'day all. Thanks for the answers so far.
I have spoken to 2 Engineers and a Truck Chassis Builder up hear on the Coast, and they all agreed on the method i have used, ,so i used it. Time will tell

More
2 years 8 months ago #224146 by Zuffen
As long as the weld is fish-plated it won't make much difference.

The additional bit of heat in the chassis won't have too much effect as it's a fairly old truck and predates any fancy hi-tech metals.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224148 by Dave_64
I readily admit to knowing three fifths of five eighths of stuff all about extending chassis rails on either trucks or trailers. What I do remember is seeing a tri axle set up on an individual frame and slid under a closed bogie set up many tears ago. Reading up a bit on fish plating chassis rails, it would appear to me at least that the biggest no- no is welding later hi-rensile rails, maybe not so critical on earlier chassis rails. What about rivetting them? Although maybe not so many set up for that these days? IF you are allowed to drill rivets out and replace them with grade 8 bolts for arguments sake, couldn't the internal and external fish plates be simply bolted together? IF the fish plates were long enough??
Dave_64

More
2 years 8 months ago #224152 by hayseed
I think the reason Most Blokes use straight Cuts, Is. it's hell of a lot easier(& Quicker) to butt up 2 straight Cuts than muck around matching Cut Angles Ect..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 8 months ago #224159 by Mrsmackpaul
If you lookback at older trucks, pre 1980's there was all sorts of wonderful cuts and joins

There were simple angle cuts like the one shown, to vee so there was to angkes to like a big Z join

I guess as long as it works it doesn't matter which way its done

I think welding techniques have improved so much since the days of a stick welder been normal and than best

MIG welders have changed the skill level of welders and made amateurs look good and good welders exceptional welders

Over on the Mack truck forum people slide one rail over the other with a few feet over lap and plenty of bolts and never have any drama

Sometimes we just over think things

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 8 months ago #224169 by Bitsa
Thanks again for all of your answers. Paul, i did speak to Cam a few years ago about another Inter i pit a Hiab onto, and his guidence was invaluable, i just did as he suggested and it still works to this day, if however a little bent after clearing downed trees after a majour storm we had, but it all worked well. This Hiab for the Bedphid is just a little larger, and the chassis extention is simply so i can slide the tray back another 700mm or so to fit it on behind the Hiab. As i said before, only time will tel. I'll try and get my phone to work and put up some more pic's if you blokes like.
Cheers
Alistair

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.594 seconds