Skip to main content

Dot3 Turbo Perkins in my Dodge

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #227816 by Dazza1949
It’s been a while but I’m back on the Forum. First thing I’ve noticed it’s a lot easier to post photos.
My history
About 2014 I bought a 1960 359D Dodge in pieces and got it home
Full sandblast and 2 park to the Cab and Front clip with all panels done both sides and individually
Bought a second truck to work out how to get mine reassembled
Built my own tray.
All brake bits resleeved, drums skimmed, new linings and vacuum booster fitted
All new wheel bearings and Uni’s
Got it inspected and drove on full rego as I need to cart water in summer
Using the old motor, I thought it could do with a freshen up
Bought a D3F off a guy on this site to cart water
A year later reinstalled the “reconditioned” 250cu” flat head and boy was I disappointed. Wasted my money as the motor wasn’t any better
Sold the truck that I’d bought to use as template to put mine back together
Toyed with the idea of taking the Dot1 Perkins and 6 speed Commer box out of the D3F
Bit the bullet
Bought another Dodge (Old crane truck from Bonnie Doon) to use as a jig to experiment with the Perkins swap over
That was a good idea as there was a lot of chassis and cab modifications to sort so that once everything was in the Crane truck I knew exactly were to cut and or weld on my truck.
BTW around this time a Dot3 turbo Perkins came my way (Visa Card involved) so shedded the Dot1
Sold what was left of the D3F to a guy up in NSW that wanted the diff (rear end)
Tragedy, my Engineer died in a car accident.
Pressed on and finally got my truck back together and found another Engineer that took the project on.
It’s now fully Engineered and on the road. Full rego but at $1300 a year it’s going onto Club Rego
The original resto and the Motor Gearbox swap took over 6 years combined.

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, tim, Morris, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227820 by hayseed
Nice Job, Dazza.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 4 months ago #227825 by Mrsmackpaul
Good to see you are still floating about Dazza

So I take it 6354 Dot 3 turbo is a pretty good little rocket, I have always found the Perkins 6354 to be a great engine

Looks like a great result , are you happy with the results ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #227837 by Dazza1949
It’s a very powerful engine especially in a 3 ton truck. Even though it’s an overdrive the truck still needs another gear or a better diff. Once it’s in 6th I’ve never had to drop back for anything until I’ve needed to stop.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Spelling

More
2 years 4 months ago #227840 by JOHN.K.
There is a much more compact Perkins housing fitted to the AT4s and D5Ns......its one piece ,takes either 4 sp or 5 speed NP Dodge boxes,and sits on the same mounts as the V8 petrols.......unfortunately,Dodge dont seem to have ever had an OD NP box,but they were made, .

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds