Skip to main content

1975 Chevrolet C60

More
2 years 4 months ago #229455 by RedbullC60
Hi all, new to the forum. I have just purchased a 1975 Chevy C60, 292, 5 speed and 2 speed diff. I'm finding it hard to get any info on these Australian assembled trucks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Despite a failed clutch and some minor rust repairs required the truck itself is in fair condition. The plan is to get it running and rego'd again and then enjoy it as it is.

As mentioned before any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated, where i can get manuals, parts etc...

Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229464 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
Welcome Mate. What Bits are you looking for...??
A quick look on Ebay shows a few Bits & Manuals available..!
A Clutch should be easy enough to Get I would Think..!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229465 by RedbullC60
Replied by RedbullC60 on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
Thanks for the welcome mate,

I'm guessing the majority of gear would need to come out of the states ? Manuals, wiring diagrams and stuff ?
I'd like to get Some more info on the type of gearbox and diff that's in it, GM or not ? etc.. a lot of the superficial stuff i can see online, but mostly from the states, header tank, water tank for the window piss's etc..

Also it would be interesting to see who else has one and what they have done, or going to do with it and the like.
It's in pretty good nick so i don't expect to need to chase much up ( fingers crossed ). Wheel bearings, seals, brake linings, the usual stuff required for rego would be things i know i will be needing.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #229466 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
There's a yellow one get around a few Truck Shows with a set of Fuel Tanks on It..I don't know who Owns it, But Someone here will..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by hayseed.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229470 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
RedbullC60 Welcome to the forum.
Bearings, seals, etc. should be easily obtainable from any bearing place. If possible, take a sample. Brake linings, hoses, etc. from any Brake place. Again take a sample. Workshop manuals might be available from other members here, or try online.
Do not rush into paying exorbitant prices for parts that should be common to other makes and models. Where are you? I can give you names and addresses of places in Victoria and I am sure that members in other States can supply details of places close to them.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 4 months ago #229472 by RedbullC60
Replied by RedbullC60 on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
Thanks for the welcome Morris.
I’m in central NSW, figured the best way to gather info on anything that I may need would be to join a related club and a forum like this. I travel a lot for work, not so much interstate but I definitely know my way around the back blocks. I don’t mind going for a drive so any info you had would be definitely appreciated.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229481 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
Welcome to this great Forum and it wont take long to find out how much help gets dished out here from members.
There are some great clubs in the Central West like Bathurst and Parkes if that is the general area your in. I have a relation over in Canada with a baby model of the C60 and it runs singles all round and one very large V8 now.
I have no doubt that most of the gear you mentioned can be sourced locally and easily. Things like the header tank and water bottle maybe a bit tricky but you never know until you ask.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedbullC60

More
2 years 4 months ago #229487 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
Greetings. I have a brochure for an American GMC Series 5000, 6000 & 6500 conventional model- pretty much the same cab etc as your Chev-it's 12 pages A4. Has a blurb on the cab, design, engines, and chassis and a page on specs. And it's in colour. Printed in 1972/73. Pete

More
2 years 4 months ago #229489 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
I recall fixing one of those Chevs ...if its still got the 250 motor ,I'd consider a crate V8......which is why most people buy Chev trucks anyway......the original gearbox was the Muncie 4 speed ,and the diff is GM,but is very similar to the Bedford 2 speed ,probably parts interchange.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, RedbullC60

More
2 years 4 months ago #229494 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1975 Chevrolet C60
I have had 2 Chevs like this, a C60 and C50

There okay for what they are but no speed demon, can get a 100 kmh out of a C50 but they reving pretty hard by then
The springs are way to soft as you get lots of body roll with a load
The worst feature was the wheels as the stud pattern was particular to that truck in Australia and they have a three piece rim which even years ago when I had them tyre places werent keen on

Mine had a NewProcess gear box, 5 speed in the C60 and 4 speed in the C 50

The C 60 was geared quite low 7. Something to one and the C 50 was 5.8 something to one

The C 60 had 8.25 20 tyres when new and the C 50 7.50 20's, I think the gearing ended up about the same when tyre diameter was taken into account

Most people put 9.00 20s on the C60s to give a bit more legs to the trucks, you couldn't fit these on the C50 rims as they were 1/2 inch narrower

The trucks appeared to not suffer from rust to bad except along the edges of the bonnet

Plastic king pin bushes that couldn't be bought after market back in the day and the last lot I got was from Holden in the late 90s, the bushes were to thin to make brass or bronze bushes and were a funny size that standard bushing material would fit

Header tank for the radiator I think you can forget about along with alternators etc

Like most trucks of that era the handling leaves a lot to be desired

I found even before the advent of the internet that it was quicker and easier to get parts from the states than try in Australia

Holden did have some paper work that mentioned all of the specs and planned uses etc

The short wheel base C60 was meant for semi work, dunno how as the 292 couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding
The long wheel base C60 was meant for furniture vans and took a 20 foot body
My C 60 had 14 foot tray and carted cattle okay and hay, fertilizer grain and machinery on the farm ok
The C50 was only available in one wheel base and was a lighter desgin in chassis and axles
Havinh said all of this the C 50 diff in the C60 and 9.00 tyres gave you a bettter cruising speed and I made many trips well over 400 km with out incident

The doors are pretty weak and a lot of people found that hanging big west coast mirrors on them eventually lead to the doors tearing at the hinges

The best point about them was they had no spring shackles and only attched at the front of the spring pack with a rubber bush and was a slipper on the rear of the spring and never had a issue with this part of them unlike Didges and Inters that needed rebushing quite often
Good luck with your project, just be patient chasing parts and probably dont bother chasing parts to much in Australia as there was none 20 years ago

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH, RedbullC60

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds